My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

lost recordings

(21 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Without knowledge of the number of units sold it is not possible to gauge failure percentages, however I think I recall Barry saying it was quite small and took a while to track down.

Humax fully honoured their warranties, including the two year warranty for those who registered it. To offer a fixed price repair at what appears to be at cost is reasonable for a product that has failed before it's expected life.

| Tue 29 May 2018 12:24:34 #11 |
  2. cicobuff

cicobuff

REPASSAC - 1 day ago  » 
    Without knowledge of the number of units sold it is not possible to gauge failure percentages, however I think I recall Barry saying it was quite small and took a while to track down.
    Humax fully honoured their warranties, including the two year warranty for those who registered it. To offer a fixed price repair at what appears to be at cost is reasonable for a product that has failed before it's expected life.

I would say considering the number of problems reported on this forum and over on avforums it is somewhat more than 'small'.

You would expect any manufacturer to honour their warranty lol.

Best solution, try the capacitor fix yourself if you are competent enough with a soldering iron, sell the repaired unit and get an enigma 2 based receiver and be done with Humax.

| Wed 30 May 2018 12:34:57 #12 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

cicobuff - 25 minutes ago  » 
    .... You would expect any manufacturer to honour their warranty lol.
    Best solution, try the capacitor fix yourself if you are competent enough with a soldering iron, sell the repaired unit and get an enigma 2 based receiver and be done with Humax.

No idea where you get the idea that Humax have NOT honoured their warranty, they have - In all cases the fixed price repair was offered on units where the warranty had expired.

My understanding is it was a resistor not a capacitor.

| Wed 30 May 2018 13:12:05 #13 |
  4. cicobuff

cicobuff

REPASSAC - 3 minutes ago  » 

cicobuff - 25 minutes ago  » 
    .... You would expect any manufacturer to honour their warranty lol.

No idea where you get the idea that Humax have NOT honoured their warranty, they have - In all cases the fixed price repair was offered on units where the warranty had expired.
    My understanding is it was a resistor not a capacitor.

I didn't say otherwise? You mentioned that Humax fully honoured their warranties...like that is something special lol.

All manufacturers should fully honour their warranties, what I was getting at was those that shirk inherent problems and make the customer foot the bill for them.

And according to andyfras on these very forums who fixed a 1010 it most certainly was the capacitors (surface mount)

| Wed 30 May 2018 13:16:56 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

cicobuff - 23 minutes ago  » 
    And according to andyfras on these very forums who fixed a 1010 it most certainly was the capacitors (surface mount)

But the 1010 he fixed wasn't suffering from the total inability to access the hard drive which is the problem being discussed in this thread.

| Wed 30 May 2018 13:41:52 #15 |
  6. cicobuff

cicobuff

Martin Liddle - 2 minutes ago  » 

cicobuff - 23 minutes ago  » 

But the 1010 he fixed wasn't suffering from the total inability to access the hard drive which is the problem being discussed in this thread.

The fact they are going out of tolerance and also the fact the traces all link to the SATA controller, and the fact that Humax seemingly have a non-disclosure of the problem, the costing of replacing these capacitors is peanuts and most certainly worth a try on any board that has a working HDD and a borked SATA controller.

My very own unit decided to lose the ability to read my recordings then magically corrected itself after 4 months for around 5-6 months before failing again....seems to me like capacitors going out of tolerance.

| Wed 30 May 2018 13:46:58 #16 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

To answer a couple of points:

1. Less than 1% of units sold are affected by this problem...

My 1000S and 1010S are still working fine, and they are almost certainly older then any others owned by members of this Forum

2. It is not a capacitor problem.

| Wed 30 May 2018 16:14:24 #17 |
  8. cicobuff

cicobuff

Barry - 9 minutes ago  » 
    To answer a couple of points:
    1. Less than 1% of units sold are affected by this problem...
    My 1000S and 1010S are still working fine, and they are almost certainly older then any others owned by members of this Forum
    2. It is not a capacitor problem.

Ha..how many times have we heard that same thing....

Firstly my 1000S mainboard is from 2012, which certainly is an early revision....secondly, if it is not a capacitor problem...what is the problem....certainly Humax are not telling us....thirdly where are the stats that less than 1% are affected.

Do you work for Humax? lol

| Wed 30 May 2018 16:25:44 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

cicobuff - 2 hours ago  » 
    My very own unit decided to lose the ability to read my recordings then magically corrected itself after 4 months for around 5-6 months before failing again....seems to me like capacitors going out of tolerance.

I agree it is something going out of tolerance but that doesn't mean that it has to be a capacitor. Humax have said it was a resistor; I have no reason to believe that is false.

| Wed 30 May 2018 16:28:17 #19 |
  10. cicobuff

cicobuff

Martin Liddle - 8 minutes ago  » 

cicobuff - 2 hours ago  » 

I agree it is something going out of tolerance but that doesn't mean that it has to be a capacitor. Humax have said it was a resistor; I have no reason to believe that is false.

It is irrelevent, Humax brush it under the carpet...after all it affects less than 1% of units...but as a *guilty* gesture of goodwill offer money off a refurbished newer model

| Wed 30 May 2018 16:38:17 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.