My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Manufacturing Quality?

(22 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barbican

I have a faulty DTR T1010. Started freezing about 14 months after purchase from new (£275), have deleted all recordings and maintenance reset numerous times including USB/Internet option. A signal via an analogue scart connection appears but no hdmi output and machine will lock up on scart intermittently. Humax tech help says nothing they can do other than advise the maintenance resets. They say there is no known inherent problems with components in the boxes. I do not appear to have registered online for the 2 year warranty. My retailer - Sony Centre at Tottenham Court Rd, London has closed down.

From web forums it would appear that many people have boxes that have failed after a short period.

Does anyone have information on the failure rate?

Is there a known component that is failing?

Is there a legal claim against Humax re manufacturing quality?

thanks!

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 11:13:39 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

It's usually the T1000 that's suspected of a high failure rate. Many users experienced consecutive failures, boxes often having to be exchanged within a few months. Fewer T1010 failures seem to have been reported.

YouView have recently stated that the T1000 failure rate is within normal range. I'm sure they'd say the same about the T1010.

It's worth noting the the newer T2--- models seem much more reliable, or at least I haven't seen many failure reports. Something was indeed wrong, and has been corrected (is my conclusion).

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 11:33:52 #2 |
  3. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Unless Humax have changed their warranty policy recently you should be OK. I was told a few months ago that they would honour the two year warranty even though I had not registered, as long as I could find the original sales receipt. Unfortunately for me I could not find the receipt If you still have yours I would contact them again.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 11:43:55 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barbican

Hi Monty, I just called Humax and they said they have never offered anyone at all a two year warranty (even with a receipt) if not registered.

Would be good to know if anyone else has any experience to the contrary?

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 12:28:19 #4 |
  5. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

That is not what they told me. I am getting very frustrated with their customer service. It seems like you get fobbed off, given the wrong information or made promises that aren't kept.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 12:54:18 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

take a look at Humax's own info:
    https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Why

towards the bottom, Note all new boxes come with a 2 year warranty, no mention of having to register

Also take a read of:
    http://www.theguardian.com/money/2009/may/23/tesco-consumer-guarantee
    If you have the original receipt with £275 I know what I'd be doing

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 12:54:42 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

damian - 1 hour ago  » 
    take a look at Humax's own info:
    https://www.humaxdirect.co.uk/Direct/Why
    towards the bottom, Note all new boxes come with a 2 year warranty, no mention of having to register

But surely that is for units purchased from Humax Direct not other retailers?

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 14:05:31 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

Good luck, but as I understand it, it's the retailer who's liable. When the retailer has gone out of business, there's no one to sue. ICBW

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 14:07:13 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

See this link:
    http://ertonline.co.uk/ERT%20Latest%20News/shasonic-shuts-up-shop.htm

If this was your retailer, might be worth contacting them.

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 14:45:32 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Barbican

James B, the manufacturer provides a warranty to the purchaser so there is a direct contractual relationship between buyer and manufacturer separate to the contract between buyer and retailer. The EU Directive requires that consumers have a minimum 2 year warranty. I am struggling to see how Humax can limit their statutory liability to consumers to 1 year?

Shasonic has not been easy to track down...

| Tue 7 Oct 2014 15:13:39 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.