My Humax Forum » Miscellaneous » Broadcast, Internet, Media

Microwave To The Cabinet

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

BT has rolled out up to 80Mbps broadband to Northlew - a remote Devon village on the edge of Dartmoor using a microwave link.

Instead of rolling out a fibre optic cable to a street cabinet, BT set up a four kilometre microwave radio link at the exchange.

http://recombu.com/digital/news/bt-rural-superfast-broadband-rural-wireless-microwave-devon

If they can deliver this to the cabinet, why not to the premises?

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 13:51:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

One piece of equipment in the cabinet vs one in each house?

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 14:30:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

But assuming there would be an extra cost to the customer, as there is with cabled FTTP, it might be feasible?

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 14:36:57 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

The technology required to transmit/receive microwave radio, carrying a multiplex of telephony and broadband to multiple customers, over a distance of 4Km is a huge step change from the wi-fi we are all accustomed to. The cost to the subscriber would be significant. The cost is I think higher than fibre optic cable. I've not been around the telephony industry for a considerable number of years, so no idea on current costs, but I think I'm not far away from the cost estimate. I look with interest for any input from current industry experts.

| Thu 16 Oct 2014 17:24:49 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.