My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Missing Channels

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ndk

Basically, the new FVP-5000T I've just installed in my lounge can only find 42 channels (auto tuning). My TV aerial is split into 3 (Maplin 4-way passive splitter in the loft). The Samsung TV in the kitchen finds 110 channels, as does the Samsung TV in the bedroom.

I tried a signal booster in the lounge - still only 42 channels. The ageing LG set's tuner in the lounge also sees a similar number of channels (minus the HD ones). This made me think the problem may be in the feed to the lounge, so I replaced it with the same grade of cable as the kitchen - still only 42 channels. I tried retuning the box in the kitchen - still only 42 channels (so the problem isn't the Maplin splitter, or the new feed to the lounge). Is this a duff box, or are the Humax tuners inferior to Samsung's?

The next step would be to replace the passive splitter with a powered one to boost the signal.

The box reports 53% signal strength, 100% quality on channel 101, 50% and 100% respectively on 1.

Has anyone else seen this problem? Should I try something else before resorting to a powered splitter?

| Mon 12 Feb 2018 18:07:08 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marty788

You could be on a local booster transmitter with a limited channel selection, check that you are on the right transmitter.
    If I enter my postcode on setup on my freeview TV it always selects a local booster which only has a few channels, to overcome this I enter a postcode near the main transmitter so then I get the full set.
    Try this website to find the transmitters near you:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/channels/local_tv_services

It will list all the transmitters in range and the channel listings for each transmitter.

| Mon 12 Feb 2018 18:56:45 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ndk - 1 hour ago  » 
    Basically, the new FVP-5000T I've just installed in my lounge can only find 42 channels (auto tuning). My TV aerial is split into 3 (Maplin 4-way passive splitter in the loft). The Samsung TV in the kitchen finds 110 channels, as does the Samsung TV in the bedroom.

Please could tell us some of the missing channels so that we can understand which multiplexes are missing? I think the first thing I would do is very carefully examine the aerial cable from the splitter to the Humax looking for kinks or badly made joints; these can produce notch filter effects that remove one or more multiplexes.

| Mon 12 Feb 2018 19:23:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

ndk

I think I am on local booster transmitter, given the direction my aerial's pointing. Interestingly, the link you posted lists ***42*** channels!! And exactly the channels the box detects!

The Samsung TV still sees 110 channels compared with the FVP's 42 from the same aerial. Strange that the FVP doesn't select them. Perhaps the Samsung's tuner is more tolerant of poor signals from another transmitter nearby?

Perhaps I need to get my aerial realigned to the other transmitter.

Thanks for you response, Marty788.

| Mon 12 Feb 2018 19:43:53 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ndk

Hi Martin Liddle,

We see everything from the Newton booster (part of the Ponton Pike group). Nothing else is available on the FVP but lots on the Samsung TV. See my reply to Marty788. It looks like the FVP is rejecting anything that is not from the same transmitter but the TV isn't. Is this possible?

I've already replaced the feed from the splitter (carefully avoiding sharp bends) but I get exactly the same 42 channels with the new cable and with the alternative feed to the kitchen. I'm pretty sure my cable is OK.

| Mon 12 Feb 2018 20:12:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Haggis54

Run a direct feed to it - not splitter. I tried this when I bought the fvp 4000t and tried splitting it between my Panasonic Freesat HD /Freeview HD tv , Sony Bravia tv and my LG freeview to TVs. It just couldn't cope. I ran direct feed to the Humax fvp then loop through with splitter to the panny and feed to my Sony and LG. I use a booster with all readings 100% signal,quality.

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Transparent-Window-Aerial-Performance/dp/B00RCOJ6CA/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&qid=1518470649&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=1byone+0.5+mm+Paper+Transparent+Digital+TV+Aerial%2C+for+VHF+%2F+UHF+%2F+FM

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/1byone-Digital-Amplifier-Booster-Outdoor/dp/B00KV9CBAM/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&tag=blusas008-21&pd_rd_i=B00KV9CBAM&pd_rd_r=G2WF775TDPD2VK9ZGP8J&pd_rd_w=jY1Zr&pd_rd_wg=eQx9Q&psc=1&refRID=G2WF775TDPD2VK9ZGP8J

https://www.oneforall.co.uk/digital-aerials.html

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/fvp-4000t/
    Only one tuner shows signal strength
    Tuners have to be 'in use' for readings to be indicated so try recording channels 1,3,11, and then check.

Perfect for testing if your aerial is pulling in full strength

| Mon 12 Feb 2018 22:00:57 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

ndk - 2 hours ago  » 
    We see everything from the Newton booster (part of the Ponton Pike group). Nothing else is available on the FVP but lots on the Samsung TV. See my reply to Marty788. It looks like the FVP is rejecting anything that is not from the same transmitter but the TV isn't. Is this possible?

Yes that is entirely possible. The problem with receiving from more than one transmitter for a PVR is that it MAY cause problems with accurate recording which probably isn't an issue for a TV. Can somebody with an FVP confirm if the automatic tuning will only select multiplexes from one transmitter? You should be able to add multiplexes by manual tuning.

| Mon 12 Feb 2018 22:32:54 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ndk

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes that is entirely possible. The problem with receiving from more than one transmitter for a PVR is that it MAY cause problems with accurate recording which probably isn't an issue for a TV. Can somebody with an FVP confirm if the automatic tuning will only select multiplexes from one transmitter? You should be able to add multiplexes by manual tuning.

Interesting. If this is the case then the best bet may be to get my aerial realigned to a different transmitter. Are the settings for manual tuning to other multiplexes listed anywhere? If I can get the box to pick some other channels up it would go a long way to confirming the restriction on auto-tuning and give me more confidence that getting the aerial turned is the answer.

| Mon 12 Feb 2018 23:41:51 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ndk - 10 hours ago  » 

Interesting. If this is the case then the best bet may be to get my aerial realigned to a different transmitter. Are the settings for manual tuning to other multiplexes listed anywhere? If I can get the box to pick some other channels up it would go a long way to confirming the restriction on auto-tuning and give me more confidence that getting the aerial turned is the answer.

The DTG site linked to above gives you the UHF channel numbers for each transmitter in range. You can also Google Freeview on xxxxxx.

The only other fact you need is SD MUX use DVB-T and HD (PSB3 COM 7 and COM use DVB-T2.

Unless you have a wideband aerial it's possible your aerial isn't suitable for other transmitters you can use.

| Tue 13 Feb 2018 10:21:14 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Haggis54

ndk - 13 hours ago  » 

If you checked the link I gave you it would tell you where your transmitters are and what type of aerial is needed relevant to your house. But hey,ho... You can buy a digital TV aerial alignment meter for a few quid. Speaks for itself if your aerial is misaligned or not.

| Tue 13 Feb 2018 12:57:51 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.