My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

moving files

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

merlin777

I'm trying to move files from hdr to a synology NAS which is mounted on the hdr using the latest server bundle update.

If i do it through explorer on my laptop its so slow that something must be wrong.

Is it possible to transfer direct from the HDR to the NAS using the webif so no data goes through my pc or over wifi (both are harwired to my router)?

| Sat 20 Jul 2013 19:26:25 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

You might want to try FTP.

If I move files from HDR to NAS, I use a PC running an FTP client (filezilla) as an intermediary FTP client. It is a two stage process - download from HDR, then upload to NAS

It doesn't take too long and Filezilla shows what's happening. If you do this it might identify what is causing your slowness.

If you want to try something more direct, there's an FTP client program for windows called XFTP which is supposed to allow your laptop to start sessions to two servers at the same time and move files between the servers without using the client resources - not used it myself.

Alternatively, for direct transfer Synology supports wget which can pull files from another server using HTTP or FTP - in this case your HDR running FTP. It is CLI only so might be a bit daunting but will do what you want.

Dino

| Sun 21 Jul 2013 7:33:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

merlin777

thanks dino. i'll try filezilla but as it will still use wifi im nit sure it'll help.

XFTP sounds exactly what i'm looking for so i'll look into that too. I thought the synology filestation app did this but maybe not.

| Sun 21 Jul 2013 11:19:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Find and fix the problem if possible.

If there is something that is impairing your WiFi performance, it needs fixing.

When you describe it as being so slow you think it is broken, what actual speeds are you getting in bits (or bytes) per second on copy from HDR to PC and copy to NAS from PC ?

How big are the files you are copying ?

Do you have any other issues/symptoms with the WiFi ?

Dino

| Sun 21 Jul 2013 12:52:09 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

merlin777

ive got to go into hospital for a few weeks, dino. when i get out i'll try what youve suggested and give you some more info.

dino - 11 hours ago  » 
    Find and fix the problem if possible.
    If there is something that is impairing your WiFi performance, it needs fixing.
    When you describe it as being so slow you think it is broken, what actual speeds are you getting in bits (or bytes) per second on copy from HDR to PC and copy to NAS from PC ?
    How big are the files you are copying ?
    Do you have any other issues/symptoms with the WiFi ?
    Dino

| Mon 22 Jul 2013 0:18:14 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.