My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Multiple wireless connections

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

TheMikeN

New to this forum but only because I am from a previous generation of Humax users going back to 2003.
    I've just updated to a FVP-4000T - from, most recently, an old 9300. The new box does all sorts of clever things but finding them has been a full afternoon-and-evening's job. I'd really love to be able to access and copy files from it while sitting at my PC so have followed all the instructions/info about SAMBA.
    Here's the weird bit. When I sit at my Windows10 PC looking at the drives and computers listed as being part of the network, my main storage drive disappeared mid-afternoon. You might be thinking 'what has this got to do with the Humax unit?'
    Well the troubleshooter system says that suddenly my main storage - a WD MyCloud drive - has reached the 'maximum number of connections allowed'. This sort of fitted with the weird thing I'd been seeing on my TV screen. The 4000T lists FIVE connections with the MyCloud drive.
    Only interesting detail is that one of the connections onscreen is just labelled 'WDMyCloud' while the other four are labelled 'WDMYCLOUD' and each of those four have 'SMB' inscribed in the small image within the onscreen icon.
    So my Humax unit is desperately over-communicating with my storage HDD wirelessly and it's stopping me getting to the storage drive AND, I think, simultaneously messing up the chance of me properly seeing the file directories of the 4000T from my PC.
    (I have managed to list the contents of the 4000T as items to stream within Windows Media Player, so there is some communication - but nothing will stream and I can't access file directories at all).
    How do I stop the 4000T from seeing the storage drive (or at least make it do so just once), please?

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 20:45:40 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

TheMikeN

...And no, I didn't want my email address there at the top of the message but I ended up registered that way despite NOT listing it as my User Name. Is there a Moderator that can change it to 'TheMikeN' which was due to be my user name, please? I can't edit that part of my profile.
    [Good news is that the email address will die in six weeks time anyway along with the rest of Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange, etc. emails.]

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 20:51:12 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

TheMikeN - 46 minutes ago  » 
    ...And no, I didn't want my email address there at the top of the message but I ended up registered that way despite NOT listing it as my User Name. Is there a Moderator that can change it to 'TheMikeN' which was due to be my user name, please? I can't edit that part of my profile.
    [Good news is that the email address will die in six weeks time anyway along with the rest of Freeserve, Wanadoo, Orange, etc. emails.]

User name changed as requested.

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 21:38:30 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

TheMikeN

That was quick! Thank you!

Now I just need someone who understands wireless connections to dig into the long question above...

Sorry to set a strange task!

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 21:52:29 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Apologises I forgot to welcome you to our Forum

Digesting your first post, may take some time to understand and try to observe via the couple of different NAS I have available.

In the meantime one of our members might have witnessed similar and post.

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 22:03:42 #5 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Usually use a netgear NAS and iirc get the same re the 'smb' annotated connections to it but I usually ignore those and connect via the icon without smb annotated (NAS not swithed on currently, but will boot up to confirm)

Connected an older wd mybook NAS and the same...

In fact the second FVP I have on network also displays multiple entries with smb icon.

Have to be honest and state I do not have a clue as to what these smb connections are, it does not impact on usage as it appears to have with the OP.

SMB:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block

| Sun 16 Apr 2017 13:06:41 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

TheMikeN

Thanks, Barry. I suppose that's encouraging. It means I haven't run into anything that shouldn't be there at all - just some elements of working with SAMBA...

I think I should be able to use the drive's own software to stop it wirelessly connecting to the 4000T {I don't really need it to do so because the TV already connects wirelessly to that drive)... I'll try this if I can find the manual about the software!

Anyway, earlier today, I had the NAS out of action and found that I now had the 4000T appearing listed alongside the rest of the machines in the house as a network computer/server. When I double-clicked it though, I just received the message that I didn't have permission from 'this server's administrator' and that the 'parameter was incorrect'. Seeing as I am that administrator, how do I give myself the permission and what parameter is it referring to?

Sorry to change the question, but it looks as if I have more than one layer of difficulty.

| Sun 16 Apr 2017 19:12:48 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.