My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Network IP Address

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

Hi.

Looking at my router diagnostics yesterday, I noticed an unfamiliar MAC address in the list of assigned DHCP IP addresses.
    After a while I realised that my Foxsat HDR had grabbed a DHCP IP address from the router, even though I have given it a fixed IP address, and the fixed IP is the one it is actually using.

Is this is a bug? It is not a huge issue for me, but it is nevertheless wrong and I imagine it could cause problems for some people.

Regards.

| Mon 19 Mar 2012 12:03:46 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Reginald,

It is possible that your HDR had obtained an IP address using DHCP before you gave it a fixed one. Once an address is allocated by DHCP it can be 'held' for a period so it isn't available for other clients. This is called the lease time. What's the lease time on the router DHCP set up ?

| Mon 19 Mar 2012 16:19:36 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I normally prefer pre-allocating a IP to a MAC address in the router settings rather actually setting the client to a fixed ip.
    Your router will then also ensure that the setting is correct and not duplicated.

Did you check that the MAC is indeed the Foxsat's and not someones phone for example?

| Mon 19 Mar 2012 17:01:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

That's a good thought, dino.

However, I only enabled the DHCP server on my router for the first time a few days ago, for use with a particular device. The HDR was set with a static IP over a month ago, and hasn't been touched since.

I'm not going to lose any sleep over it, but it would be nice to know if anyone else has noticed this, and what the reason might be. I can't check my router right now, but maybe the lease time will give me an idea of when the IP address was given out.

Reginald.

| Mon 19 Mar 2012 17:14:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

REPASSAC - 14 minutes ago  » 
    I normally prefer pre-allocating a IP to a MAC address in the router settings rather actually setting the client to a fixed ip.
    Your router will then also ensure that the setting is correct and not duplicated.
    Did you check that the MAC is indeed the Foxsat's and not someones phone for example?

I checked the MAC - it is definately the Foxsat. To be honest, I've never really needed to use the method you suggest on my home network before. I may look into it.

Regards.

| Mon 19 Mar 2012 17:18:52 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Just checked my routers client list and same symptoms as Reginald, i.e. an entry for the MAC of the HDR in the DHCP client list even though it has (and is using a static IP) outside the DHCP scope.

Going to have to get the sniffer out.

Dino

| Mon 19 Mar 2012 17:56:15 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Looks like the HDR starts down the DHCP path before it deploys its static address.

Set HDR into standby.
    Cleared DHCP client list on router.
    Booted HDR
    Router received a DHCP discover from HDR
    Router responded with DHCP offer
    HDR sent a DHCP request
    Router sent a DHCP ack

Then the HDR began using the static IP, leaving the router with a duff entry in its DHCP client list.

| Mon 19 Mar 2012 18:19:16 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reginald

You know, I was going to suggest that is what might be happening, but you have just proved it.

Thanks for the info.

Reginald.

| Tue 20 Mar 2012 10:00:19 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.