My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Network port dead?

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

itm

I'm having problems connecting my Foxsat HDR to my LAN/internet. I've tried both DHCP and a static IP address (192.168.1.249), but neither works. When I try DHCP then click "Apply" I get a "please wait" message for a few seconds but then it returns with blank IP networking settings.
    The cable is fine - if I borrow the ethernet cable from my Media Centre PC, which is connected to the network with no problems, I get the same problem.
    The cable is firmly seated at the rear of the Humax, but there is no LED lit on the Humax network socket, nor on the corresponding port on the switch.
    Can anyone suggest any possible fixes/diagnostics?
    I'm running software v1.00.21

| Fri 21 Sep 2012 23:12:34 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dandnsmith

First - is this the first time you've tried connecting, or is it an old problem (it having worked in the past)?

Second - how many cables have you tried, and are they all of the same type?

Derek

| Sat 22 Sep 2012 7:45:28 #2 |
  3. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The absense of a lit LED at both ends of the cable indicates that it is not electrically connected.
    This could be a faulty port - have you tried another router port?
    Do you have anything else that you can connect directly to the socket to see if the LED lights - an old router/switch etc?

| Sat 22 Sep 2012 7:48:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

itm

It has worked fine in the past, but I haven't used the network functionality for a while, so am not sure when it stopped working. The switch port is fine - if I connect a PC to the same port, using the same cable, it lights up as normal and the PC connects to the network without any problems. This rules out the switch/port/cable as being the problem.
    I've also noticed HDD errors with the Foxsat - sometimes my list of HDD video recordings is blank, and does not re-appear until after a reboot. Last night I was also unable to delete a recording due to an error.
    It could be that the two are related??

| Sat 22 Sep 2012 9:01:57 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

chrissaf

You could try doing a factory reset on the Humax, just in case it is a software rather than a hardware fault.

| Sat 22 Sep 2012 9:25:12 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Yes the network is started near the end of the boot process and I think that this is very possible that disk errors are causing this. Plus I have not seen any posts before where the network LED was unlit but the connection good.

You could try disconnecting the harddisk a nd booting (power off and disconnect from mains for 60 secs before opening lid) - repower and watch to see if the network port lights when connected. This should confirm that it is a disk problem or not.
    If it is then what level would you say your computer skills are?

| Sat 22 Sep 2012 9:32:47 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

itm

When I disconnect the HDD and reboot the green and amber LEDs on the network port flash briefly immediately after powering on, then go out and stay out.
    I've just found the likely cause of the problem: there are a couple of damaged components on the motherboard:
    http://www.friendhouseswap.com/humax.jpg

The circled component is still just about hanging to the motherboard. The arrowed component had broken off completely (from the same circled area). I guess that these relate to the network port, given their proximity to it?

My computer skills are fairly good - a former developer and experience of replacing HDD's, power supplies and RAM in PCs.

| Sat 22 Sep 2012 12:37:52 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.