My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Network question/suggestion to Humax

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

royw

The FVP 4000T has no manual setting option in the Wi-Fi section for its IP address etc. Neither does it have a Host Name, or an option to enter one.
    A known problem with some routers (Belkin 600n being one of them) is that if more than one device connected by Wi-Fi has no Host Name, the router tends to block them. Also even with only one device with a blank Host Name, if it repeatedly connects (Eg each time the Humax sleeps,then wakes again) then the router may block it. One work around, if it isn't possible to give the Humax a Host Name, would be to reserve an IP address in the router and assign that IP address in the Humax. But as I originally mention above those options aren't available
    Refreshing the DHCP table (client list) in the router allows the Humax to reconnect but usually requires the network key to be re-entered on the Humax. All frustrating.

Otherwise extremely satisfied with the device, apart from occasionally all the Recordings 'disappear'. Luckily, switch off and back on again at the power socket to reset and so far they always re-appear.
    A few other niggles like - no slow motion on playback, the missing Info button, and as there are dedicated 'Guide' and 'On Demand' buttons, why not use those two positions in the Home screen menu for other things?

| Fri 1 Jul 2016 17:40:15 #1 |
  2. graham uk

graham uk

special member

royw. My recent purchase FVP4000T Does have Manual option to input IP details.

Network Settings
    Configure LAN
    Configure IP DHCP....Press OK will show manual to enter IP details.

graham uk

| Fri 1 Jul 2016 18:46:05 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

royw

Yes so does mine graham but as your sequence shows, that is in the LAN settings and only applies to the wired Local Area Network setting (connected to the router directly with a network cable).
    It doesn't apply to the Wi-Fi settings.
    I did try entering settings manually there in case they worked for both LAN and Wi-Fi, but as I couldn't connect via a cable to my router which is too far away, when I accepted the settings to continue it failed because it couldn't find the router via a cable and didn't store the manual settings.
    All other devices I've ever had have either had a Host Name or allowed manual settings for Wi-Fi (or both)
    Roy

| Fri 1 Jul 2016 21:03:37 #3 |
  4. graham uk

graham uk

special member

royw. No Sorry...You are wrong. My Humax is getting Wi-Fi from my Router which is 24 Metrs away. It is not connected by Ethernet cable.

graham uk

| Sat 2 Jul 2016 9:26:38 #4 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

royw is correct - you cannot change settings if connecting via wifi.

You can change them if connecting via LAN ie cable to router/switch/powerline adaptor etc.

| Sat 2 Jul 2016 9:45:50 #5 |
  6. graham uk

graham uk

special member

Barry. Sorry. I must have misread I thought royw meant Humax connected to Router direct.

graham uk

| Sat 2 Jul 2016 9:50:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

royw

Thanks Barry - exactly what I said in both posts above. I am connecting via Wi-Fi but only with DHCP automatically issuing the IP address.
    I worked in computer operations and support since 1968 and networks since their inception in a university computer centre, so I think it's fair to say, I know a bit about them

| Sat 2 Jul 2016 10:11:05 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.