My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

New Box

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevieboy

Hi everyone!
    It's a long time since I've been on here as I had a free Talktlak YouView box.
    The Huawei 372t has pretty much given up the ghost now. It won't record at all so I am looking for a replacement.
    Prior to having th Huawei box i had 2 or 3 Humax boxes and they were pretty top notch pieces of equipment.

So i'm hoping you lovely folks can over some advice/suggestions on what to go for now - given i've been away from Humax for a long time.

It looks to me like YouView is dead. I haven't been able to find any new boxes online to buy.
    I like YouView because it carries apps like Now, Britbox, CBS catchup and Amazon Prime.
    It looks to me like the Freeview boxes don't. Is that correct?

I do have a smart TV so i can watch these on there though if needs be.

I've spotted the FVP - 5000T which has 3 Tuners and seems quite decent for the price. It looks to be a current model. Any chatter on whether it's due to be discontinued?

I also saw the Aura 4K Android box.
    I know nothing about the Android TV OS. Is it the next big new thing?
    Is it in effect a Hummy PVR with smart tv like apps availability?
    If so is there a definitive list of what's available? eg Disney plus, Now, Plex, AppleTV, Paramount etc etc?

Does Freeview play allow catchup for all of the Freeview channels via the TV Guide? It doesn't seem to work so well on my LG Smart TV. There seem to be lots of programmes unavailable.

I know, alot of questions but as I say I have not kept up with how Humax products have evolved over the last few years.

Any help greatly appreciated
    Steve

| Sun 15 Jan 2023 13:29:14 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

stevieboy - 5 hours ago  » 
    I do have a smart TV so i can watch these on there though if needs be.
    I've spotted the FVP - 5000T which has 3 Tuners and seems quite decent for the price. It looks to be a current model. Any chatter on whether it's due to be discontinued?

The FVP-5000T probably won't get much, if any development and currently ITVX isn't available on it.

I also saw the Aura 4K Android box.
    I know nothing about the Android TV OS. Is it the next big new thing?
    Is it in effect a Hummy PVR with smart tv like apps availability?
    If so is there a definitive list of what's available? eg Disney plus, Now, Plex, AppleTV, Paramount etc etc?

My personal preference is for the Aura which is a reasonable box but it does have quirks and Humax have gone quiet about whether there will be future software updates. Out of the box it has Amazon Prime, Kids, YouTube plus the usual UK TV players. You should be cautious about assuming that other Apps in the Playstore will work; some do, some don't. You will find that some people will tell you the Aura is awful; I think it depends on what people were hoping it would do.

Does Freeview play allow catchup for all of the Freeview channels via the TV Guide? It doesn't seem to work so well on my LG Smart TV. There seem to be lots of programmes unavailable.

I think you will find the same thing on the Aura; if the broadcaster doesn't make the content available then the box can't stream it.

| Sun 15 Jan 2023 19:06:22 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevieboy

Martin many thanks for the info.
    Amazing my Huawei box has started recording again. We'll see how long for but if it does carry on then relacing becomes less urgent.

I relly don't want to buy something that might not get any software updates.
    Humax used to be really good at keeping things updated.

| Sun 15 Jan 2023 19:57:31 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

stevieboy - 1 hour ago  » 
    Humax used to be really good at keeping things updated.

True and there was a recent update for the HDR-FOX T2 to fix an iPlayer issue which was 7 years after the previous version.

| Sun 15 Jan 2023 21:48:41 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.