My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

New Foxsat-HDR owner

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi All,

Retired and run a gite in France, also into photography.

Just installed new unit yesterday all went well with new dish etc. signal and quality at 100%.

Already regretting Humax route as every time I press the Guide button it all locks up with just the message downloading programme etc. etc.

Have to switch off and reboot to get the TV back working.

Have left it for over 1 hour now to see if it is just data volume but gave up and re-booted by switching unit off.

First thing this morning did same and time taken was about 10 secs.

Is this the norm for this unit??

Have run a firmware update but system says no new firmware available.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

John

| Fri 20 Jul 2012 13:43:10 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Run a Freesat tune but don't save the results. Downloading a new guide should take around a minute. You can display the cached epg instantly by pressing the schedule button on the remote followed by the red button.

Pressing exit should have got you out of the stuck downloading message.

What firmware version does Menu/System/Diagnostics say you have ?

| Fri 20 Jul 2012 14:17:16 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

HI Graham,

Thanks for the response.

Will run the Freesat tune when I can get to the TV.
    Tks for the tip on the Schedule button.

When the epg is stuck the remote control does not work with any button pressed including exit.

Software is HPRSFCI 1.00.17
    Loader U 7.54

Update date 20.09.2011

And this is from a new unit purchased in the UK last week!

Thanks

John

| Fri 20 Jul 2012 15:43:11 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnA - 21 minutes ago  » 
    HI Graham,
    Thanks for the response.
    Will run the Freesat tune when I can get to the TV.
    Tks for the tip on the Schedule button.
    When the epg is stuck the remote control does not work with any button pressed including exit.
    Software is HPRSFCI 1.00.17
    Loader U 7.54
    Update date 20.09.2011
    And this is from a new unit purchased in the UK last week!
    Thanks
    John

That's an old firmware. The reason you couldn't find an upgrade is that it's not currently being transmitted ota.

Fortunately it's pretty straightforward to upgrade using a usb stick.

http://www.humaxdigital.com/uk/support/downloadcenter_model.aspx?category_seq=65

| Fri 20 Jul 2012 16:07:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JohnA

Hi Graham,

I have run the Freesat tune and not saved it and no problems

Did as you suggested and upgraded the file.

Tried the Guide button and the epg downloaded in about 30 secs and all buttons working with no lockup.

Hopefully trend will continue and we can watch more HD programmes on our TV for the first time since we bought it 6 years ago.

Wife will be happy to be able to record her favourite shows when we are busy or out.

Appreciate your help very much.

John

| Fri 20 Jul 2012 20:42:32 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JohnA - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    I have run the Freesat tune and not saved it and no problems
    Did as you suggested and upgraded the file.
    Tried the Guide button and the epg downloaded in about 30 secs and all buttons working with no lockup.
    Hopefully trend will continue and we can watch more HD programmes on our TV for the first time since we bought it 6 years ago.
    Wife will be happy to be able to record her favourite shows when we are busy or out.
    Appreciate your help very much.
    John

You are very welcome

I just happened to be the first to read your post.

Incidentally the reason your Foxsat delivered the epg in very short time the next time you tried is pretty certain to be when you pressed guide the box was recording.

Explanation.

The epg is delivered in two ways:

1 Pressing guide deletes your existing epg and completely replaces it with a complete new one.This is transmitted from the Freesat home transponder (mux in terrestrial terms) from a different satelitte from most of the channels you watch (28.5E). Because this a fast and dedicated feed you need tuner 1 to get it.

That's why the background video and audio disappears until the whole epg is downloaded. If tuner 1 is recording this can't happen so you get the cached epg (same as Schedule/Red if tuner 1 is free).

The epg on your hard disc is also updated from information carried along with with every channel you watch. It takes a while to get round the whole epg, in practice umlee yoyu want to set a recording in the very near future the epg is pretty certain to be current.

I always use the cached epg, it's always available even when watching a recording, never had a problem. I have had a Foxsat-hdr from launch late 2008.

Enjoy your Foxsat, despite it's age it's still has features unmatched by any other current model.

| Fri 20 Jul 2012 20:48:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

max-speed

Taking a chance on a response on this long 'old' thread
    12 hours ago coupled up my new out of the box FOXSTAT-HDR set up was fine and all worked well (only used TV mode) and now the remote will not function, red light blinks OK on button pressing,changed batteries, powered down box, all to no avail.
    I have tried to get to see software version but I can't seem to get to that using the front box buttons.
    I can channel change and get the menu from these buttons.
    HUMAX closed on Saturdays.
    MAX.

Admin Edit:- Moved from SD PVR thread to correct one.

| Sat 21 Jul 2012 10:41:25 #325 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

max-speed

A newby to the site and ownership of a HUMAX FOXSTAT-HDR. Was very impressed with the speed and ease of setting up last night and the picture quality, however here we are the following day and now my remote fails to function.
    Have documented this I hope on the forum at the end of a very long thread.
    Once hopefully sorted my visits will be of a more enquiring nature as to the many functions on this machine.
    Max.

| Sat 21 Jul 2012 10:50:18 #7 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

When you press a button on the remote does the white pvr button at the top flash red or does one of the others flash RED. IF so press the white pvr button and you should be back in control

| Sat 21 Jul 2012 10:59:30 #8 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

max-speed

grahamlthompson - 31 minutes ago  » 
    When you press a button on the remote does the white pvr button at the top flash red or does one of the others flash RED. IF so press the white pvr button and you should be back in control

Merry Xmas Graham... I've pratted about most of the morning and it's beautiful out-side.
    Appreciate your quick response at resolving my problem
    Rgds Max.

| Sat 21 Jul 2012 11:34:54 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.