My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

New quad LNB not so good

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

NeilC

Hi All, just before I get back to the installer I'd like to get some advice. I had a single LNB replaced with a quad one today and the HD picture quality has really gone down especially as it was 'pin' sharp before. The signal strength is very good so could it be the quality of the LNB, will a better one make a difference? The original was just the bog standard Sky model.
    Thanks in advance, NeilC

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 13:50:37 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Being Digital there should be no difference at all. Any problems will show up as the picture breaking up into a pixellated mess. May be just a specific programme. Much of BBC1-HD is upscaled SD so you may be simply looking at a SD programme or one that's not very good quality HD. Your existing recordings won't be affected by the lnb change so if they look worse a setting somewhere has been altered.

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 14:55:47 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

NeilC

I've checked several programmes. I'm a photographer and VERY fussy about image quality. The sharpness has dropped right off on all the HD programmes. Particularly noticeable is the text running underneath the news programmes and the info bar and programme information - it's just nowhere near how good it used to be.

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 15:17:41 #3 |
  4. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Are you sure you are viewing the HDMI picture - and not the one on SCART? If you are still on HDMI, what resolution is the output (change using the V-Format button)?

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 15:38:24 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

As Son-t says sounds as if you have vformat set to downscale from 1080i to one of 576i, 576p or 720p. It can't be the lnb it has to be a setting changed somewhere. If the overlaid guide is fuzzy then it's near certain to be vformat. (the lnb has no effect on the epg quality).

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 15:45:36 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

NeilC

You're right guys! The vformat is set at 576, where do I change it? Is it a PVR setting or TV?

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 16:24:39 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

NeilC - 3 minutes ago  » 
    You're right guys! The vformat is set at 576, where do I change it? Is it a PVR setting or TV?

Every press of vformat cycles through the settings, just press till you get 1080i.

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 16:28:37 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

NeilC

Thanks Graham, but how do I access the vformat setting - I only saw it flash up 576 on screen at start up.

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 16:35:14 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

NeilC - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks Graham, but how do I access the vformat setting - I only saw it flash up 576 on screen at start up.

It's a button on the remote control

Bottom row third from left.

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 16:37:42 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

NeilC

Fanatastic! All sorted, I think it must have been something to do with the installer doing a factory reset.
    Thanks again, what a brilliant resource this forum is.
    Well done, all the best, NeilC

| Wed 20 Jun 2012 16:44:05 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.