My Humax Forum » WELCOME to the forums!

New Sat dish position for 2-3 tvs, not working

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Massey

Changing Sat dish for 2 tvs ,One Humax Freesat and other with Recordable Humax Freesat.

I have put up a second satellite further from the original and have checked with one tv (non recordable ) that it is correct alignment which it is.

On the original satelite had a LNB with 4 points an engineer originally put 2 cables for recording Humax and two for other Humax box (would have thought one was enough ) All worked fine.

The second dish as I said worked in the test done for non recording Humax.

Problem is the Recording box signal

May want a 3rd tv at some point in future so was told to get a 67005 SAT VT 08, 8 Way Splitter 5-2450MHz

that has 1 IN & 8 Out ports.

Having put all the leads from both boxes in the recordable box cannot receive BBC (but did on red button channel) not would it receive ITV ……. and the non recordable box stated no signal, hence no channels . Did screw in blank caps for all the unused ports as advised when bought the splitter.

At moment non recording Humax is on new positioned satellite but the recording Humax on original satellite which has to be moved for building repair work .

Any ideas and If so layman english as unfortunately not satellite tech literate as you can probably read from my long winded post.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 11:55:13 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You cannot split the signal from a lnb (other than say using a Humax twin tuner box with a single feed).

The reason is simple a lnb is not a passive device (A aerial is passive), the tuner connected to a lnb output is controlled by the connected tuner.

The Ku band universal lnb cannot handle all the channels at the same time.

The transponders delivering the digital multiplexes either use High band or Low Ban Frequencies and can be horizontally or vertically polarised.

This gives 4 possible modes High Band Vertical, High Band Horizontal, Low Band Vertical and Low Band Horizontal.

More info here on how the box tuner tells the lnb which of the 4 variants is required to view/record the channel it needs,

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/lnb.htm

A octo lnb provides connections for up to 8 tuners, more than this you need a multiswitch that usually uses a special quattro lnb (Some can be used with a standard quad lnb).

You must have used a very long ladder to put up a satellite, they are located approx 22000 Mls above the equator

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 14:55:51 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Massey

Hi grahamlthopson,

Thank you for your reply however bit too technical for me to understand exactly what I need to do, sorry? You can judge my tech knowledge by leaving out the word dish..........

I wanted to just connect the 2 tvs/Humax boxes (maybe more in future) to the single repositioned satellite dish.

Thought it would be easy when the sat/tv etc guy in a Leroy Merlin gave me the splitter and said it could be used with either a satellite dish or an aerial and provide a sign al to service up to 8 aerial, saying it would be easy to install for what I wanted.

Looks like I will be needing someone to come and do the set up I want..... had hoped to get it sorted and building repair done so could watch rest of World Cup while I'm in france till after final.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 15:21:19 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Massey - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Hi grahamlthopson,
    Thank you for your reply however bit too technical for me to understand exactly what I need to do, sorry? You can judge my tech knowledge by leaving out the word dish..........
    I wanted to just connect the 2 tvs/Humax boxes (maybe more in future) to the single repositioned satellite dish.
    Thought it would be easy when the sat/tv etc guy in a Leroy Merlin gave me the splitter and said it could be used with either a satellite dish or an aerial and provide a sign al to service up to 8 aerial, saying it would be easy to install for what I wanted.
    Looks like I will be needing someone to come and do the set up I want..... had hoped to get it sorted and building repair done so could watch rest of World Cup while I'm in france till after final.

Assuming you are using 3 cable connections and the temporary dish is correctly aligned (Being over 22000mls away they are a small target - a tiny alignment error will miss 28.2E by many miles), you just need to run three satellite grade coax cables to the old dish from the new one and connect to the old cables using a pair of connectors and a barrel connector. Waterproof the joints using self amalgamating tape.

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/fconn.htm

https://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-coaxial-f-plug-pack-of-10/17061

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-plug-to-f-plugs-pack-of-10/95730

The guy clearly knew nothing about satellite reception.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 15:48:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Massey

grahamlthompson,

a sign al to service up to 8 aerial, saying it would be easy to install for what I wanted.....

should read 8 tvs, not 8 aerial.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 16:04:37 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Massey

I need to remove the original dish completely to put a window where it is fixed, the new dish will be the permanent .

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 16:09:24 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Massey - 2 minutes ago  » 
    grahamlthompson,
    a sign al to service up to 8 aerial, saying it would be easy to install for what I wanted.....
    should read 8 tvs, not 8 aerial.

Yes just swap the lnb for a octo assuming all the TV's have a satellite tuner. The dish may need a minor alignment tweak due to the extra weight of the LNB and extra cabling.

Tv's with only a terrestrial tuner need a conventional aerial (you can split a aerial feed).

Did you put up the new dish or was it professionally mounted and aligned using a satellite meter ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OCTO-Lnb-8-WAY-sky-Lmb-Hotbird-Freesat-Polsat-Sky-Plus-Boxed-New-Clip-on-2018/173368872528?hash=item285d970e50:g:af4AAOSwACRavTWw

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 16:10:40 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Massey

Dish was professionally mounted and aligned. Both tvs when put on the new positioned dish ...individually...... have strong signal and good quality showing on settings.

Thanks for onto link.... doesn't look like I'll get it done before week end ...... take original dish down to do window and not see Work Cup or....not difficult choice as taken so long foe England to get so far

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 16:33:41 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Massey

Thank you very much for your help, now have some understanding of what needs to be done. very much appreciated.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 18:35:47 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.