My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

New software version 1.03.12 ~ OTA date

(115 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

For those interested:

Item 4 in the release note is the one I have been teasing about.

The EPG is now updated during the early morning OTA check.

Easy to test once you have version 1.03.06 or later, pull the aerial before first boot in morning, you should find you have full 8 Days of EPG data.

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 12:04:23 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

JamesB - 1 hour ago  » 
    Pardon my ignorance, but why would MHEG-IC be a no-no for Fox T2 boxes?
    I don't currently have a Fox T2 but it's on my shortlist.

I've caught up now, so no longer need a reply to this question.

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 12:26:26 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tell

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 
    For those interested:
    Item 4 in the release note is the one I have been teasing about.
    The EPG is now updated during the early morning OTA check.
    Easy to test once you have version 1.03.06 or later, pull the aerial before first boot in morning, you should find you have full 8 Days of EPG data.

I think I win the prize on what people hadn't spotted on 1.03.06 and posted it up on the Hummy site seeing the list of what's in the upgrade. Been confirmed here.

The problem was we have found ways around it and if you are using the remote custom scheduler you need to boot up a couple of times a day. I do so you can get the commands in. Overnight and before evening viewing. So us custom users woulnd't have seen it.

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 13:17:17 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tell

chrisdaniels - 2 hours ago  » 
    @Tell, I can tell you that: No. YouView is completley different OS. IIRC The apps on YouView are made with Adobe Air.
    It is up to the broadcasters to port their own On-Demand (OD) players, unless they specifically ask Humax.
    As you know, there are rumours around YouView investments coming to an end in April, so hopefully the other broadcasters will finally invest some cash in building OD players that are compatible with the Humax HD & HDR, but this will probably take at least 6 months..
    I think they will want to go the mheg-ic route like the BBC have started to do to both future proof themselves and also have the opportunity of presenting a red button on their channel. No one likes being limited to a portal page that they can't link to.
    In other words, i don't think its gonna happen for our boxes..

I like to set tasks for hobbyist developers. It's irritating that there aren't the other portals.

If you believe the Media Guardian then the BBC will cut back it's investment in YouView since they have used license fee payers money to develop a commercial service. At the time of the initial investment that wouldn't have been clear but in-hindsight "our money" has been incorrectly used to aid the expansion of pay TV via BT and TalkTalk so the redirection to open platforms.

Can you explain the last paragraph since you did an about turn.

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 13:27:46 #14 |
  5. chrisdaniels

chrisdaniels

special member

Humax can't or won't add in mheg-ic software support to our boxes, and they are also now discontinued and replaced by a box that does support it as standard. The HDR & HD T2 boxes are not bound to the freeview rules that state they MUST support it because they were launched before the spec was finalized.

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 13:56:33 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

chrisdaniels - 2 minutes ago  » 
    Humax can't or won't add in mheg-ic software support to our boxes, and they are also now discontinued and replaced by a box that does support it as standard. The HDR & HD T2 boxes are not bound to the freeview rules that state they MUST support it because they were launched before the spec was finalized.

Thanks. Now that I've cottoned on to this, I've crossed the box off my shortlist. Shame - I was very interested in the custom firmware.

I tried the new model, but the unit I bought was faulty and was returned for a refund. Beyond the specific fault for which it was returned, it didn't really grab me. I liked some aspects, but the box as a whole struck me as a bit flaky, similar to the flakiness of the YouView box. However, I may decide to try it again. Really wish Humax would bring out a cheap version with no hard drive, like the little freetime box. I'd go for that.

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 14:13:12 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tell

There was a cheap one called the HD Fox T2, one tuner you optionally installed your own USB drive. It was the for runner to the HDR. But the catch just one tuner so you have limited abilities to watch and record if you connected the drive. The HDR is twin tuner. It attracted a better class of citizen :).

Chris thanks for explaining shifting sands of Free view standards.

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 18:29:57 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

JamesB

special member

There was a cheap one called the HD Fox T2, one tuner you optionally installed your own USB drive. It was the for runner to the HDR. But the catch just one tuner so you have limited abilities to watch and record if you connected the drive. The HDR is twin tuner. It attracted a better class of citizen :).
    Indeed. A single tuner Humax Freeview box would go well with my single-tuner Humax Freesat box though!

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 21:05:27 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

Barry - 1 day ago  » Release note as follows:
    • Resolved BBC Three and Four HD recording issues

Fingers crossed that fix involves HD CBBC and CBeebies as well.

| Tue 25 Feb 2014 22:19:50 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Owen Smith

special member

I'm just baffled that this isn't going to be available on the Humax download site initially. If it's good enough to OTA to millions of users it's good enough to be on the downloads web site. I don't like upgrading software over the air, it feels much safer to me to do it by USB stick. It's also a lot quicker by USB so I can then use my box rather than waiting ages over the air.

| Wed 26 Feb 2014 1:04:02 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.