My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

New user. One big issue and one question

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

alex_a

Hi all, just taken delivery of a new Foxsat HDR and no problems on set up.

I connected my (non-digital) audio system to the 2 RCA connects for audio out. All working fine yesterday. This morning my wife turned off the HDR before turning off the amp - there was apparently a loud noise from the speakers and my amp appears to have been blown as it will no longer switch on. Can anyone explain what has happened. I don't see any other way of connecting an audio system to the box.

Separate question. There is nothing in my user manual on how to connect the box to the interner - there is the ethernet port but the manual just says "for future use". Where do I find some instructions, especially on getting to iPlayer

Thanks in advance

| Mon 28 Nov 2011 23:05:09 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Don't know about Q1.

Q2 - Connect an ethernet cable to the rear ethernet socket (there is only one place it will fit). Connect the other end to your router/hub. Go to channel 901 for the NNC iplayer. Follow on screen instructions.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 9:04:09 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Nothing wrong with the way you connected the audio. Why the amp blew up is very unlikely to be anything to do with the phono link.

For reference

Analogue Audio out is available from both scart sockets and the RCA Phono sockets you used.

Digital Audio out is available seperately on the optical toslink (S/pdif) socket (which gives up to 6 channel surround from some of the HD channels) and also on the hdmi output.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 9:40:43 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

alex_a

Nothing wrong with the way you connected the audio. Why the amp blew up is very unlikely to be anything to do with the phono link.

Well that's what I thought, but the facts are:
    1) Current setup with Sky+ box connected via phono to the amp, and the rest of the system, have not been touched since we moved into this house 5 years ago
    2) Sunday when I installed the HDR box everything worked OK. Would have switched the amp off before putting the box into standby
    3) On Monday, Humax box switched off with amp on; big noise through the speakers; amp went dead and now won't switch on: it's now toast, as confirmed by Cyrus dealer

The bottom line is the system has been fine until some spike output from putting the Humax box into standby.

I'm speaking to Humax, but in the meantime, it's a warning to other users, and how do I connect in future to avoid this potentially happening?

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 11:27:46 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Bit baffled, what input on the amplifier is the hdr output set to. What volume level is the hdr volume set to ?. Was the hdr significantly louder than the Sky box ?.

Any sort of voltage spike large enough to fry an amplifier input on a phono input would surely do the same to an hdr.

My phono outputs feed a uhf modulator, never had a problem in turning off the hdr in 3 yrs. Volume level is set to 100% on the hdr.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 11:48:31 #5 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Unless it was connected to the record deck input on the amp which is expecting a much lower signal level?

Could be just a quick-blow protection fuse needs replacing in the amp? Possibly accessible via a screw-in holder on the back plane so can be done without taking the case off?

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 11:54:01 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Unless it was connected to the record deck input on the amp which is expecting a much lower signal level?
    Could be just a quick-blow protection fuse needs replacing in the amp? Possibly accessible via a screw-in holder on the back plane so can be done without taking the case off?

Thought of that which is why I asked the question, but it would have sounded absolutely awfull if it was a riaa compensated input, it seems very unlikely.

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 12:03:26 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

alex_a

Bit baffled, what input on the amplifier is the hdr output set to. What volume level is the hdr volume set to ?. Was the hdr significantly louder than the Sky box ?.

The HDR is connected to the AV input on the amp, same as I had on the Sky+ box. The HDR volume level is reasonably high - probably 60-70%. The volume is noticably lower than the Sky box, and on the amp I had to turn the volume higher, but still only running the amp at about 30%.

Could be just a quick-blow protection fuse needs replacing in the amp?

There is a screw in external fuse, but it looks intact. I don't think it can be that as the lights still come on when power is connected, but the start up light sequence indicates a failure. The power light is red, but will not switch on when pressed

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 12:16:39 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

alex_a

Any more ideas? I have an old amp that I'm going to connect while my Cyrus is fixed, but I don't want to blow that up as well.

If I buy a scart to phono cable will that work and any ideas if it is likely to be safer?

| Tue 29 Nov 2011 17:52:25 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

alex_a

Two updates on this.

Took the amp to a Cyrus dealer who confirmed something has been blown inside the amp, but couldn't understand how the HDR could do this. At least as its a Cyrus it's a rebuild for £250 rather than a complete new amp

Actually got a response from Humax customer service but I don't hold out any hope anything will come of it. They are going to try some "tests".

Anyone else got any bright ideas either on how it happened or how to make sure it doesn't happen again?

| Sat 3 Dec 2011 8:25:02 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.