My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

New user questions HDR 2000T

(5 posts)
  1. chickenlegs

chickenlegs

HDR 2000T
    I am investigating purchasing an HDR 2000T 1TB Freeview HD PVR to replace a non-HD Topfield PVR and I have some questions that I hope you can help me with.
    1. How many simultaneous tv programmes can I record whilst watching something else given that the recordings are on different channels?
    2. Does the unit split/ differentiate two recorded programmes if one follows immediately after the other when they are on the same channel?
    3. Can you set a jump time for quick fast forward jumps on playback? I like this feature in the Topfield as you can skip through adverts in chunks of time.
    4. Is it possible to transfer/ burn files to DVD that have been recorded on the hard drive and if so, does this require third party software?
    5. Can you investigate what files or apps are installed on the unit? i.e. is there a user interface that shows the files on the unit?
    6. Is the unit compatable with Mac OS and software? i.e. if I need to update firmware, transfer files from the unit, can I do this with a Mac?
    7. Can I trim or personalise the channels that I see on the guide and remove the ones I never watch?
    8. Is it possible to customise the manner in which the unit chooses how to record? The Topfield enables me to choose between recording a series, a single programme, search with text, whole phrases or combinations of each. It also has a “power search” function that intelligently picks programmes in series to record, thereby preventing duplicates being recorded.
    9. Does the unit remember your choices for recordings in order to automatically pick up programmes that appear again at some future point?
    10. Is there a list of the 'on demand' services somewhere? I would ideally need as a minimum, Amazon Prime (LoveFilm) and BBC iPlayer.

I am sorry for the number of questions, but the information on the Humax site, doesn’t appear to give me answers to these and it's always better to get answers from users.
    Many thanks in advance.
    Chris

| Sun 9 Nov 2014 18:34:52 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Phew. I don't have the box but based on the HDR FOX T2.

1 Two recordings, what you can watch depends on the two recording channels. If they are on the same mux then any 3rd channel can be viewed. If on different mux any channel on the same mux as either recording should be viewable.

2 Yes

3 Yes and a different reverse skip time to cope with overshoots

4 Yes for SD recordings - DVD authoring software like DVDFlick is required. But these days it's easier just to play back the digital transferred files. I believe HD can also be transferred using Raydons Foxy.

5 Not currently

6 Manual updates are carried out by a USB stick. Any unit capable of copying update files to a FAT32 formatted device can be used.

7 Yes

8 Series recording, one off recording and manual recording. Compared to a Toppy search is limited. If you can get one a HDR FOX T2 running the CF is the nearest you can get to a Toppy.

9 Both Freeview and Freesat use CRID codes that expire after 13 weeks so the broadcaster can re-use the codes. The capability on the Toppy is based on a search of the programme names. This approach fails when a series of programmes with different names are coded by a broadcaster as being part of a series.

10 afaik OD is limited to iplayer and ITV player. There is a list of devices on the Amazon site that currently support Amazon Prime. These include Media Players, Tablets, Smartphones and Blu-ray players.

| Sun 9 Nov 2014 18:59:46 #2 |
  3. chickenlegs

chickenlegs

Graham, many thanks for your speedy reply and excellent answers to my questions. More questions, sorry! Does the unit HAVE to be plugged in to a network to work? I have a Sony Bluray player that we currently get our on demand channels through, which is connected to an powerline ethernet cable, and as Amazon don't identify Humax as an OD client, I probably won't use the OD function on the Humax for this purpose. Apart from looking at photos and other things on my local network, are there any other reasons why you would need to connect the unit to a wireless or ethernet network?

| Sun 9 Nov 2014 19:22:49 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Not afaik, software updates are possible via the internet but also OTA. A cheap network switch will allow you to share the powerline connection anyway. Pretty sure the unit like the HDR FOX T2 has ftp access to the recordings. This would enable Foxy to patch the .hmt file thus allowing HD file encryption to be removed on copying to usb.

eg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-LINK-5-Port-Fast-Ethernet-Switch-LAN-Network-Hub-Wired-RJ45-Splitter-/200988422911?pt=UK_Computing_NetworkSwitches_RL&hash=item2ecbd7f2ff

| Sun 9 Nov 2014 19:33:49 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Just a few comments on Graham's answers:

4 You have to copy the recordings to a USB drive for the encryption to be removed.

5 FTP can be enabled but only shows the recorded programs partition.

6 You can also update the HDR-2000 over the Internet.

10 No ITV Player as far as I know.

| Sun 9 Nov 2014 19:37:23 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.