My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

No Display/Ring, Only Pwrs Up By Pwr Switch Off/On

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

FionasDad

Couple of weeks ago unit started being slow to respond to remote (couple of secs delay), then few days later no display/coloured ring & refused to power up from remote/touching coloured ring on front. Power cycled switch on back and HUMAX logo appears on tv briefly and can hear disk spinning up but no display or coloured ring on front panel and nothing appears on tv after that. However have found that if keep touching ring on front or pressing remote start button during this power cycling after HUMAX logo appears, unit fires up and then works as normal but with no display or coloured ring and with delay on remote action. Once you sleep unit with remote, wont fire up again without going through the power cycling/touching front panel ring/remote pressing operation again. Top off, PSU caps all look good. Any ideas? CPU not firing up properly cos trying to read faulty front panel?

| Wed 27 Sep 2023 21:52:17 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

FionasDad - 18 hours ago  » 
    Top off, PSU caps all look good. Any ideas? CPU not firing up properly cos trying to read faulty front panel?

It could be a known fault with a capacitor on the circuit board see https://hummy.tv/forum/threads/start-up-fails-when-hdd-connected.10164/page-7 which is part way through a thread on finding the problem and how to fix it (NB needs soldering skills).

| Thu 28 Sep 2023 16:27:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

FionasDad

Thanks for your response Martin, am looking thru your link, does sound a bit similar. May have to get another unit before I go down the road of attempting to swap caps/ scoping voltages, as unit is still being used by family, albeit with pwr cycling etc. BTW Is there a circuit diag available or have peeps been reverse engineering?

There is mention of testing the unit working with disk disconnected, didnt know that was possible, do you have to remove both the pwr & the signal multiplug connectors to do this safely?

Ive noticed that the disk stays spinning quietly after doing its chuntering when I sleep the unit, but I still cant fire it up again by touching the front button/ring without pwr cycling again.

Also now noticed the fan doesnt run atall which may have been the reason for the unit starting to fail due to overheating or may be a result of the fault.

Odd that, when unit is up and running ok, although the front button ring is obviously detecting my touch at boot up, it is no longer lit orange/blue etc nor is there any clock/display on front panel, so only some of the front panel functionality appears to be working. Not sure how that ties in with a boot up problem.

If I do manage to get another FOX is it possible to simply swap the old nearly full disk into another unit or is there id authentication etc preventing this?

Many thanks

| Thu 28 Sep 2023 22:41:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

FionasDad - 16 mins ago  » 
    BTW Is there a circuit diag available or have peeps been reverse engineering?

All reverse engineering.

There is mention of testing the unit working with disk disconnected, didnt know that was possible, do you have to remove both the pwr & the signal multiplug connectors to do this safely?

My recollection is that a single plug is used for both power and signal.

Also now noticed the fan doesnt run atall which may have been the reason for the unit starting to fail due to overheating or may be a result of the fault.

With the standard firmware the fan only runs when the temperature is too high so not a fault.

If I do manage to get another FOX is it possible to simply swap the old nearly full disk into another unit or is there id authentication etc preventing this?

There is encryption that is specific to an individual box. Ask about that over at hummy.tv.

| Thu 28 Sep 2023 23:04:04 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.