My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

no power to my mums humax help please

(5 posts)
  1. jamesey

jamesey

hello , im new to the forum so hello!!!
    my mum has a humax hdr fox t2 free view recorder with a 500 GB hardrive , the stadby light was on yesterday and when she pressed the stanby remote button all the red ring light that should turn orange/blue just went out and hasn't been back on since , there is no noise from the hardrive or the fan isn't running , ive swapped the hardrive for a spare one I had but its still the same.
    ive got a volt stick tester and im getting power 240v to nearly every part of the circuit board.
    theres not much information about this matter on the net , any help would be great as id really like to get this back working for her.
    ps ive not got any bulging capasitors that one forum describes as a faulty psu ,
    is there anything I can try , many thanks.

| Sun 28 Jun 2015 18:59:42 #1 |
  2. jamesey

jamesey

anyone got any clues about power issues on these boxes , ive treiad all the obvious like fuses etc , power is to the box but no standby light illuminated thus dead.

| Mon 29 Jun 2015 15:38:03 #2 |
  3. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

Try turning it off using the switch at the back of the box, disconnect from the mains, leave it for a couple of hours, then try powering it back up. This can sometimes work. The box should boot up without a hard drive connected, so it is not the hard drive. Unfortunately it could be the PSU, the main board or the front panel board that is at fault. If you are comfortable with voltage testing, you could check the DC voltage coming out of the PSU. If it is an old hardware version (the two aerial terminals aligned horizontally on the back) there are 5.8V and 12V outputs. If it is an 'RE' (revised hardware unit, aerial terminals aligned vertically) it will only have 12V outputs from the PSU. You could also look for obvious signs, like bulging capacitors (Edit: I now see that you have already visually checked the capacitors).

| Mon 29 Jun 2015 16:18:18 #3 |
  4. jamesey

jamesey

hi ive tested all the wires coming out of the psu there a few black wires on a blue one on the left , the blue one and black next to it are 12.2 v and the 4th and 5th wire from left to right are 6.2v , the rest of the wires have nothing on them , is this at fault at all , I can have it sent off for repair as I cant do soildering , but not if the voltage is normal like ive found , thanks again.

| Tue 30 Jun 2015 20:59:32 #4 |
  5. MontysEvilTwin

MontysEvilTwin

special member

The PSU sounds OK. Four of the wires are grounds so you would not expect to measure a voltage on those. The identities of the wires are marked on the PSU board. 6.2V is perhaps a little high (5.8V rail) but it shouldn't be a problem. It could be the main board the front board. Without a spare front board I'm not sure how to tell which.

| Tue 30 Jun 2015 23:15:59 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.