My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

No Sound

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BlackGhost

special member

Is this a known bug - I sometimes have no sound on live tv or recordings. Sometimes changing the channel fixes things, sometimes I have to restart the box?

| Thu 17 Nov 2016 12:30:22 #1 |
  2. Gobbl

Gobbl

I've had that on occasion and found that removing the HDMI cable from the TV and plugging it back in again fixes the issue. Not sure if it's the Samsung TV or the T4000, but they just seem to not communicate occasionally.

| Thu 17 Nov 2016 13:29:33 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

BlackGhost - 2 hours ago  » 
    Is this a known bug - I sometimes have no sound on live tv or recordings. Sometimes changing the channel fixes things, sometimes I have to restart the box?

I've never experienced it on my fvp4000T. It is, as Gobbl mentioned, very likely to do with handshaking/communication. The bane of my 'set top box' life has been HDCP. It causes 0% problems for pirates and no end of problems for law abiding consumers. No screen, pink screen, no sound all down to hdmi and HDCP, you wouldn't believe the amount of contempt I have for this absolutely useless digital rights rubbish we have foistered upon us. It ranks with speed cameras where 60 drops to 30mph in a non built up area and never to be found outside schools, hospitals and care homes and not being allowed to take more than 100ml of liquid on a plane and my partner being forced to put her lipstick in a sealable see through plastic bag that can easily hold 1000ml.

Removing the hdmi cable may fix it as it forces a new handshake, unfortunately the hdmi connector isn't designed to be constantly plugged/unplugged and damage will occur. I'm assuming the sound loss doesn't happen midway through, but more when first switching on or changing channels or at an advert break.

My advice, plug the fvp4000T into hdmi 1, TV's tend to default to hdmi 1, switch channels between SD and HD - switch channels between stereo and 5.1 - easier said than done and some of the sound loss may have happened during an advert break where it's switched from stereo to 5.1 or vice-versa, switch inputs on your TV - this may or may not force a new handshake.

Last resort is unplugging the hdmi and/or rebooting, ideally find something that works from the remote control, either switching inputs, channels or playing back media stereo/5.1
    If you find a work around, please share along with TV manufacturer and model so that others can benefit

| Thu 17 Nov 2016 16:17:22 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.