My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

No sound on some recordings

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Millzey13

Hi I have an issue where if I record it's hit or miss wether I get sound or not. Sometimes even from the same channel? I have a Sony bravia with a Sony sound bar. Main channels that are effected are quest and itv

Many thanks

| Sat 14 Oct 2017 16:25:51 #1 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome to our Forum

Try changing audio setting in:

Settings
    General Settings
    Audio

| Sat 14 Oct 2017 18:05:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Millzey13

Hi thank you Barry, I have it set to HDMI mate atm. It's really weird some channels record with sound but some dont.

Littelry one program on itv will record with sound and another on the same channel wont??

| Sat 14 Oct 2017 21:22:35 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You aren't by any chance recording one channel from ITV-HD (no sound) and the one with sound from the SD channel ? Barry is referring to the audio codec used to output digital audio on HDMI. If you set the digital audio output to stereo on HDMI (rather than surround, guessing here as I don't have a 4000T). You should have audio on any channel. HD channels output Dolby Digital audio which some TV's can't cope with. Changing the digital audio out to stereo, recodes HD channels to mpeg 1 layer 2 audio which any TV should be able to cope with. The surround sound options should really be used with a seperate AV receiver with built in support for the 5 speaker plus a subwoofer that some broadcasts provide (5.1).

| Sat 14 Oct 2017 21:43:49 #4 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

You have an Audio setting set to HDMI?

Set the audio setting to stereo.

The sound compression system can be different on differing programmes and SD/HD channels.

Edit: Graham hot off the mark I now see.

| Sat 14 Oct 2017 21:45:30 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Millzey13

Hi guys thanks for the input and great info.of I switch it to stereo the tv won't project through the sound bar? And actually yes your kind of right. It seems to record HD with sound but not the sd programs?.....

| Sat 14 Oct 2017 21:48:58 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Need a lot more information. Lets start with the basics. Clearly we can't be familiar with your kit, soundbars compared to proper AV receivers are not straight forward (some rely on a capability to transmit audio to a seperate audio/video connected source connected by a seperate HDMI source, The system is known as ARC (Audio Return Channel), this is only available on 1 HDMI input source on your TV,. Sadly this requires the TV to be set to CEC control which can be seriously flawed especially as it can control the power on/off of connected kit that you might actually need . However lets assume your soundbar has a HDMI input and a HDMI output. Connect your 4000T to your soundbar HDMI in (if it has one) and it's output to a suitable HDMI in on your TV.

Given suitable settings on your soundbar it should process the audio from the connected 4000T (in surround output) mode and pass on the video to whatever HDMI port on the TV you have connected the soundbar to.

This might give you issues if you need the soundbar to reproduce audio from another source like say the TV's tuners.

| Sat 14 Oct 2017 23:42:38 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Millzey13

Hi thanks for your response all though that has just gone straight over my head lol.

My sound bar plugs into my tv through an optical cable and the humax to tv via hdmi. Seems like HD channels record where as SD dont

| Mon 16 Oct 2017 15:54:16 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Millzey13 - 16 minutes ago  » 
    Hi thanks for your response all though that has just gone straight over my head lol.
    My sound bar plugs into my tv through an optical cable and the humax to tv via hdmi. Seems like HD channels record where as SD dont

I would have expected the opposite ie Sound on SD but none on HD channels.

If that's right look for a setting to change the digital audio output from Surround to Stereo in the 4000T settings. Make sure the box volume is turned up using it's remote usually best to near max and then use the soundbar remote to vary the volume.

| Mon 16 Oct 2017 16:14:09 #9 |
  10. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I suggest you start by checking what you get without the sound bar being connected. This will verify that should is being passed to the TV. Then reconnect the sound bar. As Graham says the Humax may need to be connected to a particular HDMI slot (e.g. HDMI-1) for the sound-bar connection to be fed with sound.

Does the TV manual say anything about connecting a sound bar or the use of the socket?

Edit: Graham was 3 seconds ahead of me.

| Mon 16 Oct 2017 16:14:12 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.