My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Noisy harddrive and seems to be getting hot

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

pierce

Hi All,

My hard drive has been making the 'seek' noise more and more lately and its been slowly starting to get on my nerves a bit, decided to have a look at the hard drive to check it was not screwed in too tight or anything like that. The hard drive was too hot to comfortable handle when I got it out of the case (a good 5 minutes after it being powered off).

This is a good 2+ years old, am I best looking at getting a new device?
    Or is there a way to check the fan is working as expected?
    Or anyone have any recommendations for a good 1TB+ drive to pick up and just replace it and carry on as apart from that device does everything I need?

thanks!
    Pierce

| Fri 16 May 2014 23:18:56 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

pierce - 23 minutes ago  » 
    The hard drive was too hot to comfortable handle when I got it out of the case (a good 5 minutes after it being powered off).
    This is a good 2+ years old, am I best looking at getting a new device?

The best thing to do is to install the custom firmware for the Humax which will allow you to look at the operational statistics for the drive (SMART data) which is the best way to judge its health. The custom firmware will also allow you to monitor temperature and if necessary to take control of the fan if more cooling is required. As an example our Humax sits in a cupboard and I run the fan a bit faster than standard to keep temperatures down.

| Fri 16 May 2014 23:46:37 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

pierce

Hi Martin,

thanks for the advice, will get that on there and then get some real stats around heat/hard drive health. thanks for the pointers!

| Sat 17 May 2014 10:29:47 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.