My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Noisy HD

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

first night with this box and as it is in the bedroom it needs to be silent but unfortunately it is not.
    I can hear the harddrive, not massively so but at night it seems much louder than it probably is. The 1800T it replaced is absolutely silent so know that this is possible.
    Anything is can do or is this a return for a replacement?

Edit. Which resloution should this be set to, I have a LG B7 55 inch TV. It is currently on 1080i but I see that is have a choice of 1080p and 2160p?

| Fri 23 Nov 2018 6:56:34 #1 |
  2. Trev

Trev

special member

I suspect you will get exactly the same answers from exactly the same people that answered you over at AVF. ;=)

Oh no, hang on a mo. Take it back, as it seems that it should not be noisy.

| Fri 23 Nov 2018 17:23:59 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

Trev - 2 minutes ago  » 
    I suspect you will get exactly the same answers from exactly the same people that answered you over at AVF. ;=)
    Oh no, hang on a mo. Take it back, as it seems that it should not be noisy.

That was helpful. Thanks.

| Fri 23 Nov 2018 17:27:02 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

MrFraggle - 12 hours ago  » 
    first night with this box and as it is in the bedroom it needs to be silent but unfortunately it is not.

My FVP-5000T is noisier than previous boxes; when I investigated by gently lifting it off the surface it became significantly quieter. Putting felt disks under the feet reduced the noise to a level that was tolerable for me (but I am a bit deaf). I suspect other solutions that introduce more damping would further reduce the noise.

| Fri 23 Nov 2018 19:20:43 #4 |
  5. Trev

Trev

special member

And just to be constructive, I have used THESE on several of my devices with spinny round things (HDR Fox T2, NAS drive, Computer etc.), and they certainly do the job of reducing vibration, if that's what is causing your problem. The soft ones are good for all except the heaviest items (up to 14 kg). I have got the soft ones under my tower PC.
    Failing that, as I said above, take it back and swap it.

I hope that you find that more helpful.

| Fri 23 Nov 2018 19:34:39 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

I have currently got a thin piece of foam under the unit and will see what the sound is like tonight.
    Will see if I have anything like the feet suggested in my box of bits and bobs.
    Cheers folks.

| Fri 23 Nov 2018 19:42:31 #6 |
  7. Trev

Trev

special member

If the foam quietens it down, don't be tight, just shell out the fiver and have a neat job with the feet that are designed for it.
    They feel really soft to the touch and I thought "These are not going to do the trick on my tower", but they did.

| Fri 23 Nov 2018 19:49:10 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Christina2018

special member

If you do replace it please let us know if it's any quieter. I hope you get it all sorted out in the end.

| Sun 25 Nov 2018 19:06:09 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

Trev - 1 day ago  » 
    If the foam quietens it down, don't be tight, just shell out the fiver and have a neat job with the feet that are designed for it.
    They feel really soft to the touch and I thought "These are not going to do the trick on my tower", but they did.

I have no intention of spending a fiver on feet on the off chance that it will resolve the noise from the HDD which is am almost sure it will not. Nothing to do with being tight and all to do with a known issue with some of these boxes.

| Sun 25 Nov 2018 19:12:35 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

MrFraggle

Christina2018 - 6 minutes ago  » 
    If you do replace it please let us know if it's any quieter. I hope you get it all sorted out in the end.

I think is am goingto request a refund as apart from the noise issue there are other aspects of this PVR is do jot like. Poor GUI which is not sharp by any means, it is so sliw to change channels and the EPG is pretty naff. It is better than the 1800 it replaced by being compact and having three tuners apart from that the 1800 is a better box in my opinion.

| Sun 25 Nov 2018 19:18:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.