My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Noisy HDD

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Humaxoid

Does anyone else find the HDD on the HDR-2000T noisy?

I'm sat 3 metres away watching Graham Norton at normal volume and I can hear the HDD chugging away in the background. It's not recording any programs so I guess it's just ticking over making a temp rec of the current channel. I find it really irritating, especially when I just want to sit in silence and do some surfing or read a book. It's even worse when its recording a program. You don't hear a whisper out of my 5 year old 9300T.

Is it possible to swap the HDD with a spare one I have in my PC (a very quiet 1TB WD drive)? Is it a 5.25" HDD?

Thanks

| Sat 7 Mar 2015 0:20:01 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PC drives aren't ideal for pvr use. For long term reliability a AV specced drive is required. Yes it's a 5.25" HDD.

Example

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701250.pdf

Humax boxes normally have Seagate pipeline drives.

| Sat 7 Mar 2015 10:34:10 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Humaxoid - 13 hours ago  » 
    I'm sat 3 metres away watching Graham Norton at normal volume and I can hear the HDD chugging away in the background.

Others have reported noisy drives, it shouldn't be that loud, placement/vibration can play a role, just lift it slightly so that it's suspended to see if moving it may help, however; you may want to return it under warranty if applicable.

Is this a recent thing, new box or old box and just started to happen. Have you been running at 90-100% disk capacity for a while?

Any low power, intellipower, green, less than 5900rpm 3.5" drive will be fine. If your spare pc drive matches any of the above then it will be okay

| Sat 7 Mar 2015 14:27:55 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Humaxoid

I bought it on Wednesday so virtually nothing on it. I'm watching Deja Vu film at normal sound level and I can still hear it ticking away! I've moved it about, held it, and the noise is always the same.

Does anyone know what HDD is in the Humax?

I'll return to Richer Sounds on Monday and ask for a replacement and see how I get on.

Thanks for advice.

| Sat 7 Mar 2015 21:03:05 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Humaxoid - 18 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone know what HDD is in the Humax?

post 2

| Sun 8 Mar 2015 15:04:49 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.