My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Non responsive FVP4000

(3 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

Looks like my 4000 has finally given up the ghost after many years of faithful service.

We've had it since it was first released and it has given years of good service as our main machine downstairs before it was replaced by the Aura. It has been doing light duties in the bedroom since, but out of the blue one morning it refused to turn on.

The machine is getting power as when I plug it in I can hear a slight what I have always called 'hiss', but there is no blue or red light. It has always had this noise if the machine was in normal standby, but not in low power standby or when turned on fully so I know the noise is not a new thing.

I have taken the top off and cannot see anything obvious and I cannot smell any burning like I did when our HDR bit the dust.

I'm not bothered about saving the box as I have bought an SSD which I am using on the TV using the TV's built in recording function, but there is one particular recording I would like to access.

I plugged the drive into an old external USB drive, but my old Windows PC is showing it as a device (Buffalo D3), the old external drive model, but not as an external drive. My Mac is not showing it as an external device either, but when I go into Disk Utility it does shows it as a 1TB disk, but again I cannot do anything with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

| Wed 26 Jul 2023 10:17:21 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

EEPhil

special member

I imagine the problem with not being able to read the disk could be down to mixed drive formats. The Humax uses Linux (drive format ext3). This format probably won't be recognised by your computers without extra drivers or software.

I have had a problem turning a Humax on (usually first thing in the morning). It doesn't respond to the remote or the on/off button on the box itself. The red LED is on. Eventually it goes off (no lights) for a while, then the Humax reboots. It might be worth checking whether this is your problem (I doubt it).

| Fri 28 Jul 2023 9:18:00 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I thought I would have some issue with reading the contents, but my query is why doesn't either my Windows PC or my Mac let me explore the drive. odd?

From other posts I thought people had been able to successfully browse a Humax disc when mounted in a USB caddy even if they couldn't actually play the files.

Maybe I need to get a proper SATA drive caddy rather than the butchered external Samsung USB backup drive.

| Fri 28 Jul 2023 11:28:34 #3 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.