My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

Not able to stop hard drive whirring without unplu

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adrien

21/12/21 I am not able to stop my PVR hard drive whirring without turning off at the mains. This means I have to remember to turn mains plug on shortly before I want something recorded. Not impossible but I might forget !
    I dont mind how long it takes to start up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

| Tue 21 Dec 2021 11:55:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

There can be a number of reasons for this. Which reasons are applicable for you can depend on your model, its software, your settings, and for one of the Humax freeview models even depends on its date of manufacture.

As I start, as you have not posted in a PVR section of the site, to give a clue as to which model you are referring to, what you could do is post the make, model and current software version it is using. That should narrow down the possibilities.

| Tue 21 Dec 2021 13:30:00 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adrien

21/12/21 Thank you for your interest. Purchased new 22/12/2014 Humax DTR T2000 your view smart 500 GB Freeview + HD Digital TV recorder Serial No 616007181 01126. My wife and myself are both age 87. I was age 17 before there was any TV And then only one program in Black and White. I managed to get the Humax going and wired up recently to enable me to record Emmerdale and Coronation Street over Xmas. I gave up watching TV some years ago and refused to pay the BBC licence but my wife wanted to watch these programs on ITV so pays the licence to the BBC. How ridiculous is that !

| Tue 21 Dec 2021 21:31:09 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adrien

I just think the hard drive running all the time is wrong and there must be a setting whereby it will start up when a program is set to record and turn off again afterwards. With of course the mains wall socket being left on. I you can throw any light on this I shall be obliged. By the way when I installed it again a few days ago I updated the software. It has Ethernet and Aerial connections.

| Tue 21 Dec 2021 21:33:42 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

(This thread has been created because the original thread with Adrien's question has been moved to the youview FAQ section and therefore cannot be replied to.)

Admin Edit: Original thread moved to correct area, this thread merged with it. Thanks

Adrien - 1 day ago  » 
    I am not able to stop my PVR hard drive whirring without turning off at the mains. This means I have to remember to turn mains plug on shortly before I want something recorded. Not impossible but I might forget !
    I dont mind how long it takes to start up. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Adrien - 1 day ago  » 
    Purchased new 22/12/2014 Humax DTR T2000

Adrien - 1 day ago  » 
    I just think the hard drive running all the time is wrong and there must be a setting whereby it will start up when a program is set to record and turn off again afterwards.

The setting which can change the amount of tine the hard drive spins are the "Standby Mode" options within "Power & Standby".
    To access Settings there is a cog in the top right hand corner of the youview home screen. From the home screen use your up arrow to access. The "Power & Standby" is the 3rd icon on the 2nd row of "Settings".

There are 3 options for "Standby Mode".
    The "Always Ready" option will never stop the HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
    The "Energy Saver" option will stop the HDD far more often.
    The other option, "SMART", is a hybrid of the two and you choose the hours it is the same as "Energy Saver".

For the closest to what you are wanting make sure that "Energy Saver" is selected.
    There are a couple of things to be aware of with "Energy Saver" ...

a/ When you switch the PVR to standby it immediately turns off the picture and the sound but it takes 7 minutes to go into full standby mode, and during these 7 minutes the HDD will still spin.

b/ If there is a recording soon to start then the HDD will spin.

| Wed 22 Dec 2021 23:51:00 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Adrien

23/12/21 Excellent, thank you,

| Thu 23 Dec 2021 20:22:36 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.