My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Not picking up channels

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

calic31

I have bought this freeview box as wanted a recordable one and am only picking up 6 channels when searching, i have had no problems with signal on old box and use exactly the same hdmi and aerial cables so have no clue as to why. I have done automatic search and manual and also replaced this box as we thought it was a machine problem, plz can someone give me some help on this.

| Wed 24 Apr 2019 15:27:24 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

calic31 - 6 minutes ago  » 
    I have bought this freeview box as wanted a recordable one and am only picking up 6 channels when searching, i have had no problems with signal on old box and use exactly the same hdmi and aerial cables so have no clue as to why

Please start by telling us the signal strength and quality as reported by the Humax (Menu button>Settings>System>Signal detection)?

| Wed 24 Apr 2019 15:37:31 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

calic31

Strength is 53 quality 10 just dont understand how old youview box picks up all channels and this one doesn't

| Wed 24 Apr 2019 15:44:59 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

calic31 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Strength is 53 quality 10 just dont understand how old youview box picks up all channels and this one doesn't

Suggests a issue with the coax cabling plugs. Perhaps a badly fitted Belling Lee Plug (without the centre core being properly soldered, or a whisker of screen touching the centre core. Simply moving the cables may have caused the issue.

Quality should be 100%.

Assuming you have a Freeview TV, disconnecting the aerial input from the box and connecting it directly to the TV. Can it view Freeview channels ?

| Wed 24 Apr 2019 20:03:50 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wotan

This might help, give it a try it is easy to do and costs virtually nothing!

I have two Fox T2 Freeview boxes. One is older than the other. On the the older box, there have been intermittent problems with 'zero' on both signal quality and strength, as I say, intermittent with no pattern. I could pull the TV and boxes out (the TV and box's unit is on castors) to inspect the aerial connections and the picture would come back with 100% quality, no apparent rhyme or reason. The newer box is OK. I tried various different aerial fly leads with no improvement. The flyleads are not made from screened cable, they are bought out items with moulded connectors

I've read on here or on the other forum (I can't remember which) about interference being picked up by HDMI leads causing all sorts of problems on various other boxes ....

So, I've screened the offending box's aerial lead by wrapping aluminium kitchen foil around the lead's entire one metre length and so far no more problems. If this continues, I can make my own flyleads using screened satellite cable and soldering the centre wire.

Why only one box is affected, I don't know, perhaps the earlier box's tuner is more sensitive. It may be the case that your new box's tuner is more sensitive than it's predecessor.

Give it a try, It might work!

| Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:09:08 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

The flyleads are not made from screened cable, they are bought out items with moulded connectors
    Of course they are made of screened cable. The problem is that they are not usually very well screened and 'leak in' interference like a colander leaks out water.

The problem with HDMI leads is not that they 'pick up' interference, but poorly screened ones from the pound shop radiate the interference at fairly close to the TV RF frequencies, and it's this interference that can 'leak into' pound shop, poorly screened patch leads and screw up (technical term) the TV reception.

| Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:50:55 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wotan

In my case, the leads are from different sources supposedly 'premium' items. Definitely not from pound shops.

| Thu 25 Apr 2019 8:58:30 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Wotan - 13 minutes ago  » 
    In my case, the leads are from different sources supposedly 'premium' items. Definitely not from pound shops.

The cheaper ones generally have less issues with screening. Best to replace your coax interconnects with satellite grade WF100 terminated with f connectors and use F to Belling Lee adaptors when needed.

| Thu 25 Apr 2019 9:14:15 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wotan

grahamlthompson - 35 minutes ago  » 

Wotan - 13 minutes ago  » 

The cheaper ones generally have less issues with screening. Best to replace your coax interconnects with satellite grade WF100 terminated with f connectors and use F to Belling Lee adaptors when needed.

Thank you Graham, to be done if the temporary screening works

| Thu 25 Apr 2019 9:51:21 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.