My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Odd sound problem

(16 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

spoke

Purchased a new TV last week & on connecting everything up I'm getting an intermittent sound problem from the Hummy as the sound seems to be dropping out for a fraction of a second so everyone sounds like they are stuttering.

Hummy connected to Samsung TV using HDMI, TV connected to Samsung DVD/amp using optical. Sound from tuner in TV is fine so is PS3 all routed through TV. I tried changing the HDMI cable & at at first it made no difference, then swapped ends and after a bit of wiggling the problems seemed to go away but now it's come back. Also tried different HDMI ports on the TV.

Any suggestions as to what might be wrong gratefully received.

| Wed 4 Apr 2012 13:05:23 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Is the problem associated with all channels or just HD ones. Does your TV output surround sound from the digital output when input from another source (many only output Stereo). Does the Samsung amp decode Dolby Digital using it's s/pdif input.

Welcome by the way.

| Wed 4 Apr 2012 13:23:03 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

spoke

Hi - Thanks for the welcome.

Problem seems to be all the channels on the Hummy, I believe the tv output is just stereo as the dvd/amp is just 2.1. I tried swapping the HDMI port with the PS3 where the sound is fine but it didn't make a difference.

Never had this problem with the old, also Samsung, TV since getting the Hummy about a year ago, previously had a 9100.

| Wed 4 Apr 2012 13:26:50 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Do you get the problem if you connect the FOX directly to the amp by a toslink cable ?

| Wed 4 Apr 2012 13:50:29 #4 |
  5. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

My 3 year old Samsung TV will not pass through DD5.1 from an HDMI input to the optical audio output (It only outputs stereo on the SPDIF) So it is better to connect the Humax optical SPDIF output directly to the Amp. The HDMI will still cary DD5.1 to the TV in parallel

| Wed 4 Apr 2012 13:52:55 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ezra pound - 1 hour ago  » 
    My 3 year old Samsung TV will not pass through DD5.1 from an HDMI input to the optical audio output (It only outputs stereo on the SPDIF) So it is better to connect the Humax optical SPDIF output directly to the Amp. The HDMI will still cary DD5.1 to the TV in parallel

Sounds like an all one jobby with only 1 input. If that's right then a manual optical selector switch would be needed. Not really ideal.

| Wed 4 Apr 2012 15:34:17 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

spoke

I connect the TV using the SPDIF so that sound from all sources goes to the amp, there's a PS3 & a Wii as well as the Hummy.

| Thu 5 Apr 2012 8:39:21 #7 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

The problem with doing it that way is that most TVs do not pass through digital surround sound from external sources to its SPDIF out giving only stereo / DPL.

| Thu 5 Apr 2012 10:28:26 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

spoke

As I've only got 2.1 it doesn't really worry me at the moment, I'd just settle for the sound not breaking up!

| Thu 5 Apr 2012 12:43:31 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

spoke - 15 minutes ago  » 
    As I've only got 2.1 it doesn't really worry me at the moment, I'd just settle for the sound not breaking up!

Does connecting the box directly to the amp resolve the issue ?

| Thu 5 Apr 2012 12:59:34 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.