My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Old Newbie?

(9 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

john080347

Hi to all on the MyHumax Forum, glad to see a few familiar names!

I have been a Humax owner for many years and was a long-term member of the now defunct "hummy.org.uk" forum, and it's good to see aldaweb, Fenderbender, Barry (from Watford?), Martin Liddle, etc., still in evidence with their pearls of wisdom !

I am still using my trusty old 9200 with a Son_T mod for downloading files, but since upgrading the TV to a 42" LG LED, I realise that it's probably time to upgrade the PVR. This is mainly because The TV has a shortage of SCART sockets, as we also connect to a rather ancient Hitachi DVD/Home Cinema, and of course no HDMI connection on the old Hummy, but also none of the screen aspect ratios seem to display recordings properly. We would like Freeview HD as well, which I thought was included with the new TV - but it isn't!

I am torn between the Youview box or the Fox T2 box, and have a load of questions (mainly regarding the Fox T2, which doesn't seem to have any recent reviews on the web); is it OK to just post a list for one of you guys to answer?

Cheers

John.

| Mon 18 Feb 2013 17:35:02 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hi John - welcome

Go ahead with your questions

In regard to the Youview box see

http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/salient-points-from-faqs

| Mon 18 Feb 2013 18:00:40 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Welcome John

Watford? - Not me, Devon

| Mon 18 Feb 2013 19:01:44 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

john080347

Thanks for the reply. The link to the YouView box FAQ’s was really useful in answering/confirming some of my queries, so these questions relate to the HDR-Fox T2 only. Questions are in order of importance:

1. Can the timers be padded? And if the recording can be padded, does this still allow series record on subsequent programmes?
    2. Network access: I have a 1 Tb Network Attached Storage containing my media library, which I have been accessing with a rather basic Xtreamer media player via Netgear mains plugs. I am disappointed that the new LG TV with DNLA can only display my videos in an unwatchable aspect ratio (centre screen, narrow and elongated); can the Humax Fox T2 display a regular MPEG2 video from the NAS in full 16:9 widescreen?
    3. For audio, I connect my old 9200 to my Hitachi DVD player which doubles as an amplifier to output to the surround sound speakers; can a Fox T2 Humax output to the same amp OK using red/white audio connectors? The amp does not have an S/PDIF connection.
    4. Downloads; I assume there is no easy way of downloading files off the Fox T2? I am used to getting my recordings from my 9200 using the Son_T mod to my USB port on the laptop in no time flat. Is the same mod possible on the Fox T2, although I can see any warranty issues will be out of the window?
    5. Can folders be created and files moved between folders on the Humax drive?

Thanks for your help; I imagine answers to some or all of these questions already exist on the forum, so perhaps you can just post the link in place of an answer!

| Mon 18 Feb 2013 20:31:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

john080347 - 1 hour ago  » 
    1. Can the timers be padded? And if the recording can be padded, does this still allow series record on subsequent programmes?

Yes you can specify padding and yes padding works with series record however you need to consider whether you actually require padding; the accurate recording works much better on the HDR than it did on the 9200 and on the major channels is almost faultless.

4. Downloads; I assume there is no easy way of downloading files off the Fox T2? I am used to getting my recordings from my 9200 using the Son_T mod to my USB port on the laptop in no time flat. Is the same mod possible on the Fox T2, although I can see any warranty issues will be out of the window?

You need to be aware that all recordings on the HDR are encrypted. Using the standard software SD recordings can be decrypted by copying to an attached USB drive but not HD recordings. However there is a user community developed custom firmware which provides enhancements to the standard firmware. These enhancements include a number of methods for decrypting recordings (including HD) and methods for transferring recordings over the network.

5. Can folders be created and files moved between folders on the Humax drive?

All series recordings are stored in automatically created folders. You can move recordings between folders. The custom firmware provides various enhancements in this area as well.

| Mon 18 Feb 2013 21:53:49 #5 |
  6. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

Hi John.

I have a 1TB NAS with files transferred from the 9200t still in .ts format some awaiting editing if I ever get the time. These all play fine on the Fox T2 over the network.
    As Martin says you can copy SD recordings to an attached USB drive (no need for a mod) and these will play over the network as well.

I should draw your attention to the forum policy (link) on decryption of HD programmes.

| Mon 18 Feb 2013 22:16:01 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

john080347

Thanks very much for all the help Martin and Aldaweb, it seems to tick all the boxes so I'm pretty much sold on the Fox T2; in particular I would like network access so that pretty much rules out the YouView box.

Regarding the HD encryption aldaweb, this won't really affect me as any HD recordings can stay on the Humax. If for some reason I did download HD files, to make more room on the hard disc say, only for home consumption at a later date, presumably they would still be playable from an external drive? Or not?

| Tue 19 Feb 2013 10:32:59 #7 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

If for some reason I did download HD files, to make more room on the hard disc say, only for home consumption at a later date, presumably they would still be playable from an external drive? Or not?

They can be played back on the same recorder they were archived from.

| Tue 19 Feb 2013 10:37:58 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

john080347

Great, that suits me fine Barry. Thanks to all for your helpful advice.

| Tue 19 Feb 2013 21:44:43 #9 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.