My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

opkg update failure after v4.1.2 firmware install

(33 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

tried to update package lists in package mgmt ( using internet explorer 8 on windows xp )after latest firmware eventually successfully updated to my HDR box but get error:

opkg update wget: bad address 'hummypkg.org.uk' Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz. Collected errors: * opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1. Updating package meta information

Trying to install opkg tools shows similar message ending "Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'? * opkg_install_cmd: Cannot install package opkg-tools."

having found code (Admin Edit: link removed as it contavenes forum rules) frmm raydon's software post I failed to establish a connection using microsoft telnet client to my box's ip address.

sucessfully installed telnet to box but get bad address nowster.org.uk as I assume that web address is out of date.

opkg update failed in telnet as shows hummypkg.org.uk as bad address

Is installing by usb stick - settop-patch v4.0.9utc the only way to go...or is there a later file I can download?

| Mon 7 Oct 2013 15:08:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

From the HDR telnet can you ping the following name ?

hummypkg.org.uk

The settop patch is not really part of the custom firmware bundle. It's a related hack which is of interest if you want to export HD material from the HDR.

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 10:07:08 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

dino - 9 minutes ago  » 
    The settop patch is not really part of the custom firmware bundle. It's a related hack which is of interest if you want to export HD material from the HDR.

Any reference to or help with this patch would of course be contrary to our Forum rules.

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 10:18:52 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

Really Barry? Then maybe that is not what I'm looking for, all I wanted to do was update and install some of the packages in package mgmt but I keep getting errors referring to opkg update, maybe I mis-read another thread as I thought that file would fix it.

How can I get the packages on the web interface to install or update?

an attempt to upgrade webif for example yields the following error:

opkg upgrade webif wget: bad address 'hummypkg.org.uk' Upgrading webif on root from 2.72 to 2.75... Downloading http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/webif_2.75_mips.opk. Collected errors: * opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/webif_2.75_mips.opk, wget returned 1. * opkg_install_pkg: Failed to download webif. Perhaps you need to run 'opkg update'?

Dino, as someone relatively new to telnet, please confirm if what I did was right, I typed "ping hummypkg.org.uk" and I get bad address 'hummypkg.org.uk'

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 10:33:34 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

just tried opkg update again in telnet, again: wget: bad address 'hummypkg.org.uk'
    Collected errors: * opkg_download: Failed to download http://hummypkg.org.uk/foxsat/base/Packages.gz, wget returned 1.

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 10:38:58 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Mark,

OK, if when you ping by name you get 'bad address' it confirms at minimum that your HDR isn't able to see a DNS server which throws up a number of queries.

Is the HDR on your LAN with access to the router and set up properly to reach the Internet ?

Is it using DHCP ?

Can you ping your router LAN address ?

Dino

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 11:10:36 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Since you can telnet in, I assume it's on the LAN.

If using DHCP, the router should sort it out, but if manual check the HDR's network settings using

Menu
    System
    Network

Look at IP address, mask and in particular at the router and DNS setting.

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 11:23:14 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

Dino, thanks again for replying

Yes am using LAN home network, router settings show DHCP on

Humax IP address is correct as it's the one I am using to view the web interface.

on the Humax - Router and DNS setting are the same ( my router ip address 192.168.1.1 )

Humax configure IP = DHCP

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 15:51:54 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

mamos22

fyi - checked my firewall and disabled it, but it doesn't seem to make any difference - same error message

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 17:01:12 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

OK, telnet into the HDR again and enter the command

ping 89.248.55.76

and let us know the result

| Tue 8 Oct 2013 17:05:52 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.