My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

optical S/PDIF cable nightmare

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jlm

When using an optical (S/PDIF) cable between the Humax HDR-2000T and the Denon DM39 amplifier, the amp's speakers make a very loud annoying noise EVERY TIME I change channels on the tv (Panasonic TH-37PX70B). It seems that the Humax Freeview set top box is sending an additional wrong signal through the optical connector (this noise does not happen when using the RAC out). I have tried resetting the HDR-2000T to factory settings, but it didn’t help.

| Wed 25 Feb 2015 22:15:08 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

jlm - 1 hour ago  » 
    EVERY TIME I change channels on the tv
    (this noise does not happen when using the RAC out)

Just to be clear,
    change channels on the tv or change channels on the humax?
    Also, I assume RCA and not ARC (Audio Return Channel)
    and I'm assuming you're using the denon for audio and not the tv with the tv's volume turned to 0

the amp is likely to pop as you change channels on the humax as the audio format will be different from channel to channel and/or will have to re-sync. My amp has a soft pop on channel change, nothing too drastic

If the noise is when changing channels on the TV then I'd suggest switching off viera link in the TV setup menus.

I'm guessing though that you've got the humax audio output set to stereo, the amp turned up fairly loud and using the humax remote to control the volume and the denon pops everytime the humax channel is changed. If this is the case then it's going to be trial and error. Turn the volume down on the amp, turn the humax volume up to maximum using the humax remote control and use the denon remote control for volume. Do the same again with the audio settings to multi-channel on the humax, but this would probably only make sense if you had an active sub-woofer connected to the denon.
    There's no right or wrong way, just what works best for your setup. My apologies if I've misunderstood anything.

| Thu 26 Feb 2015 0:39:04 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

jlm

Hi damian, thanks for your reply.
    In response to your options:
    I change channels on the Humax, not the tv. Yes, RCA and not ARC. And yes, I’m using the Denon for audio with the tv's volume on mute. The Viera link is switched off, but that doesn’t make a difference. The Humax audio output is set to stereo, with the amp turned lowish. If I put the audio settings to multi-channel on the Humax, then there is no sound coming out of the amp. No, there is no active sub-woofer connected to the Denon.

After a bit of searching I have found a thread in a Humax forum that refers exactly to this noise issue. However, the solution found is to turn off Dolby Digital under tv set up, but I cannot find this setting, either in the Humax or in the Panasonic tv. This is the forum in question:
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/sound-conflict-with-hd-channels
    If turning off dolby digital is the answer, the question now is how to do that? I don’t seem to have that option.
    Thanks a lot for any ideas.
    jlm

| Thu 26 Feb 2015 0:54:17 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

thanks jlm,

my amp has sound on multi-channel, but it's a multi-channel amp so hardly surprising, I'm surprised though that the denon doesn't presumably on SD and HD channels, but nothing to worry about, leave the humax on stereo, there's no benefit on multi-channel with the denon you have.

You haven't said whether the humax volume remote is set at maximum, this needs to be set at max volume with the humax remote and then control the audio volume via the denon remote for now.

the dolby digital (DD) settings don't exist on your tv, afaik. one way to rule this out is to disconnect the hdmi to the tv, switch off and switch back on the humax, sound should come out of the denon and do you get the same noise on channel change? I'd imagine so and with the tv completely disconnected from the humax it would rule out trying any settings on the tv as effectively the tv's not there. If you don't get the noise then there's clearly some investigation needed around the tv, reset that if possible and/or use input hdmi-2 for starters.

double check the humax remote control max volume settings. If there's still no joy then I'm at a loss. You could try resetting the denon as explained in the manaul - worth a try. Having said that spdif does give you digital, but the denon only does stereo and sub-woofer which isn't connected anyway. I've not seen anything that says the denon does pseudo dolby or surround, on some equipment it'd be licensed by dolby and offer a sort of digital surround via two speakers and this is where interference creeps in. Aside from resetting the denon, I'd try the source-direct setting and double check there aren't any dsp (digital sound processing) modes activated.

At the end of the day though digital isn't really giving you any benefit over RCA, unless you need RCA for another input source dvd etc. At most digital will give you 2.1 Left Right and Sub and seeing as you don't have a sub woofer and multi-channel doesn't seem to be decoded by the denon then digital isn't of any real benefit, unless I'm missing something.

My advice, reset the denon, test with the tv hdmi disconnected, double check humax remote volume set to max, check any denon settings for surround and set to source-direct or anything direct, last resort use RCA if not needed by another device.

let us know how you get on, also is the noise a popping noise once only or more of a white noise as suffered by the DD setting users?

| Thu 26 Feb 2015 3:21:04 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

jlm

hi damian,
    Just got a reply from Humax technical help about how to turn off Dolby Digital, it's done by just changing the audio output to stereo. Bad news because I’ve already tried that.
    When unplugging the tv from the humax I still get the same noise on channel change, so it must be the humax.
    The noise is a popping noise once only, lasting for a fraction of a second. After trying your suggestions, nothing really makes any difference: resetting the Denon, switching to hdmi-2, humax remote volume set to max and amp set to min (lower noise but still present), Source Direct (although only meant for cd playing). The problem with using the RCA is that is in use by the external bluetooth module, so I have to plug-unplug the 3.5mm jack every time – a minor trouble but still it’s a brand new amp and it pisses me off that one of the functions isn’t available! Thanks again for your ideas.

| Thu 26 Feb 2015 12:00:12 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

I thought resetting the denon may have helped, the rest clutching at straws really.
    It's re-syncing the digital signal on channel change and you'll probably find all amps suffer the popping noise to some degree, mine does, just surprised RCA doesn't

you can get bluetooth spdif/toslink adapters, better with aptX, but this money (£20 - £30 for unknown chinese quality) would have been better spent on the denon. There aren't many around at the moment, but leave it a couple of weeks as chinese new year will be over soon and ebay will be flooded again. Or manual rca/av switches for a few pounds, not really my cup of tea.

I don't think there's an answer, leave the humax at max and use the denon volume control. The soft popping I get has never bothered me, although many years ago I had a kenwood receiver that hissed and only at around 5% volume or more did the volume overcome the constant background hiss, could barely hear it in a busy shop when I took it back and the others hissed as well, but it drove me barmy at home. It too was made in china, I found out after I'd bought it, poor qualtiy and design sold at western prices.

you may find you don't notice it after a while...

| Thu 26 Feb 2015 13:35:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

jlm

nah, it’s annoying even at low volumes if you are an intense channel zapper like myself, I’d rather use the RCA whenever I want better tv sound. The irony is that I cannot return the unit because the optical connector's dust cover broke off, they are v flimsy. On the plus side, I’m relieved that the option to return it isn’t there as I like the Denon and returning it would have been an excruciating decision to make…

| Thu 26 Feb 2015 13:57:13 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Layton

Hi! Were you ever able to resolve the noise issue with your Denon? I just bought the brand new M40 and I'm experiencing a similar / the same issue. Whenever it loses the signal coming from a source connected via optical cable there's kind of a short "static burst" / noise coming from the speakers. It's especially annoying when watching tv as I have to hear it every single time I switch channels ... Otherwise I like the M40, but this is still disappointing as I bought it mainly for digital sources connected via optical cable.

| Tue 9 Jun 2015 11:27:31 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.