My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

OTA Software Search causing TV Auto Switching to Occur

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Notts Humax Man

Whilst watching TV (Humax HDR-T2)in Stand-By the TV just switched to AV with a black blank screen (AV and RGB) icons displayed.
    This happened during morning around 11/12 AM. Had to manually switch TV back to TV via TV remote.
    Again last night same thing happened on my second Humax HDR-T2 this time around 04:30 ish. Humax in stand-by and Humax display scrolling "Software ...." Obviously the box was doing a software update search but why does it need to give out a Scart "Switch signal" it dose'nt need to tell me anything nor does it know that the TV is actually switched on anyway.
    Both Humax's are at latest software FHTCP 1.02.20
    Not a major issue with me but would be with the family who would not know what to do to re-establish the TV channel.
    Is there a work around I know that I could remove the Scart lead but this would have it's own range of disadvantages so do not see this as an option.

Regards all

| Sat 8 Oct 2011 11:30:33 #1 |
  2. gomezz

gomezz

special member

One option is to cut Pin 8 of the SCART lead. But this means manually switching to the Humax when you do want to watch it.

Is this SCART lead connection as well as or instead of the more usual HDMI connection?

| Sat 8 Oct 2011 18:43:55 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Notts Humax Man

Thanks gomezz
    The Scart lead is in addition to the HDMI connection.
    The result in disconnecting pin 8 of the Scart lead is not disimilar to removing the Scart lead altogether as this makes it necessary to re-select the TV Input manually everytime the Humax HDR-T2 is switched on. With the Scart lead connected I only need to switch inputs when selecting an HD Channel.
    The question really is WHY does the Humax perform "Scart Switching" when the Humax is in St-By mode and checking for software updates???
    It dose'nt need to display anything on the TV so what's the need to switch perhaps this is a "Design Oversight" relating to either software and / or hardware.
    Any thoughts on this one Barry

| Sat 8 Oct 2011 21:42:10 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

In principle the HDMI connection should give better results for for all channels not just the HD ones.

One workaround is to use an activity-based universal remote which you can set up to automatically take care of source-switching.

| Sun 9 Oct 2011 20:21:18 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Notts Humax Man

Thanks again gomezz
    Yes I agree that the picture quality is slightly better on the HDMI input when even on SD transmissions. I already use the Humax Universal remote to control the TV.
    The point I am raising is that the HDR FOX-T2 should NOT need to perform "Scart Switching" when it is in Stand-By mode looking for an OTA Software Update.
    No one seems prepared too officially say there is a problem with the Humax product. (has it even been reported to Humax???)
    It is my opinion that the problem relates to a Hardware design fault in that:-
    When Humax in Stand-By and commences an OTA update request it has to put a "Start Condition" on the hardware necessary to process the information search.
    The hardware has only two states either "ON" or "OFF" so when the Stand-By request is applied the hardware switches "ON" consequently it automatically applies appropriate condition on the Scart to cause switching.
    Hardware cannot distinguish between "On" in respect of Stand-By request or "ON" in respect of a Humax Power up state, hence the problem that I experiance.
    If it is as I state then there is little that can be done by Humax as to correct as it would need new version of Hardware.
    Regards

| Mon 10 Oct 2011 15:47:01 #5 |
  6. ezra pound

ezra pound

special member

I don't use Scart myself but I understand that 'Scart switching' also occurs on the Humax during record from standby as well as during OTA search at 4:30am, Which would be a bigger problem as it is more likely to happen during more normal viewing hours

| Sat 15 Oct 2011 15:21:16 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Notts Humax Man

ezra
    You have hit the nail on the "Head" the first time it switched was in the morning around 11/12 am (I first thought this was Software Update but did not look at the Humax display) so this it must have been a "Record from Stand-by" starting.
    The second was the 04:30 am OTA Software Update search that had occured (both Humax T2's do it) the Humax display scrolls "Searching for Software ...."
    What you say confirms my thoughts that the hardware only has two states - either ON or OFF and cannot differentiate between being on in respect of "Software ON" or Power Switch ON hence the problems identified.
    Dont think there is any chance of a Fix as this would need a new variant of Hardware.
    Thanks ezra

| Sat 15 Oct 2011 19:06:30 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Notts Humax Man

Have conceded that the best way to limit complications of "Scart Switching" is as suggested, so have removed the Scart Leads completely.
    This way there is no intermediate confusions as to which state of play we are in.
    Simply "TV only on" input automaticaly has to be TV.
    Humax-T2 on then the only input that can be manually selected HAS to be HDMI so if HD channel selected then its on the correct input.(no confusion of AV or HDMI selection) My other half now trained and can operate it as well.
    Thanks to all.

| Tue 18 Oct 2011 21:52:30 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.