My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Pause feature - various frustrating results

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

rod_vw

I have a FVP-5000T box which is about 12 months old. Software version UKTFE 1.03.51 (Build date 25 April 2019) - Loader version UKTFE 1.06

I find the pause feature very frustrating as it seems to have a will of its own.

Often (but not always) if I try to pause a channel that I have been watching 'live' for a while then press Pause on the remote the availability of pause time is limited to the end of the current program. Very frustrating if I wish to pause the transmission near the end of a program whilst I make a drink, then return to watch the following program from the start I find that the pause function has failed and the program is showing.

Is this a fault or is it possible to configure the 'feature' out?

Thanks for your thoughts.

| Wed 13 May 2020 23:24:33 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's down to the way the the live pause buffer works. If the box was tuned to the programme when it started the live pause buffer start is set to the start of the programme. This allow you to record the complete programme from the beginning to the end by simply pressing the instant recording button. If you change the channel the live pause buffer switches to the new channel.

If you were watching the programme when it started, instead of pressing pause press record. When you want to carry on watching simply select the on going recording from the recording list. You can live pause rewind etc without problems provided you don't advance beyond the point where the programme has reached. You can avoid this by using the forward skip key which will stop working (less than 2 mins of buffer left with default skip settings).

| Thu 14 May 2020 10:12:52 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

rod_vw

@grahamlthompson sorry for not replying sooner.

I think you misread my post, the problem I have is that when watching a channel I cannot always pause that channel beyond the current program.

I'll give you the example of the one that is most annoying...

I am watching BBC1 at 12:50 and at 12:57 I wish to pause the channel whilst I make a cup of tea and then restart viewing at 13:10 to watch the 13:00 news. What happens is that the Humax box cancels the pause at 13:00hrs all on its own and plays the news.

There are other occasions that the pause function will happily pause over the end over a program and into the next, then others that only seem to recognise a pause period that relates to the program that is being watched.

| Fri 5 Jun 2020 12:33:50 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rod_vw - 1 hour ago  » 
    @grahamlthompson sorry for not replying sooner.
    I think you misread my post, the problem I have is that when watching a channel I cannot always pause that channel beyond the current program.
    I'll give you the example of the one that is most annoying...
    I am watching BBC1 at 12:50 and at 12:57 I wish to pause the channel whilst I make a cup of tea and then restart viewing at 13:10 to watch the 13:00 news. What happens is that the Humax box cancels the pause at 13:00hrs all on its own and plays the news.
    There are other occasions that the pause function will happily pause over the end over a program and into the next, then others that only seem to recognise a pause period that relates to the program that is being watched.

That's because at 13:00 the programme you are viewing is no longer current, so the start of the timeshift buffer becomes the start of the new programme at 13:00. It's this that allows the box to record a complete programme if it was being viewed when the programme started with a single button press.

If instead of pressing pause you had pressed the instant record button. On returning select recordings and playback the recording you started it will be complete to the end of the programme at 13:00

| Fri 5 Jun 2020 13:55:28 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rod_vw

Am I reading that correct and that even doing as you say the program that began at 13:00 will neither be paused or recorded.

If I am understanding correctly I would have to go to the 'Guide' select the One o'clock news and record it. Then on return visit 'Recordings' and play the item.

If that's the case I don't understand why there are other occasions when I can pause a channel over a program change and un-pause at a time into the second program and catch up on the end of one and the beginning of another.

| Fri 5 Jun 2020 14:02:38 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rod_vw - 8 mins ago  » 
    Am I reading that correct and that even doing as you say the program that began at 13:00 will neither be paused or recorded.
    If I am understanding correctly I would have to go to the 'Guide' select the One o'clock news and record it. Then on return visit 'Recordings' and play the item.
    If that's the case I don't understand why there are other occasions when I can pause a channel over a program change and un-pause at a time into the second program and catch up on the end of one and the beginning of another.

The programme that started at 13:00 will be buffered to the time shift buffer if you haven't already got a recording set.

Where consecutive recordings are made on the same channel the same tuner will make both recordings.

If you press the instant recording button it will be recorded just the same as if you had set a recording reservation. No need to use guide at all.

Basically if you think that the programme is likely to have finished before you want to pick up from the pause point, press the red circle to the right of pause.

To view from where you pressed red. Press the recordings button and play the recording at the top of the list.

Basically best to record anything you want to watch. If it's ITV you can view the recording in chasing playback and skip the ads.

| Fri 5 Jun 2020 14:15:09 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

rod_vw

Thanks, I'm not altogether convinced but I'll give it a try.

"The programme that started at 13:00 will be buffered to the time shift buffer if you haven't already got a recording set." This is the bit that does not seem to happen.

Cheers,

Rod

| Fri 5 Jun 2020 14:56:52 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rod_vw - 57 mins ago  » 
    Thanks, I'm not altogether convinced but I'll give it a try.
    "The programme that started at 13:00 will be buffered to the time shift buffer if you haven't already got a recording set." This is the bit that does not seem to happen.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Give it a try it becomes 2nd nature after a while.

It's the programme that ends not the one that started is dropped from the time shift buffer. ie the one you were watching when you pressed pause.

Try this. About 5 mins or so before the programme that is current is due to finish. Press the record button. You should see a message that the programme you are watching is now recording.

Press recordings. You should see a recording in the list. It will start from the beginning if you were tuned to that channel when the programme started if you press play. It will continue recording till the box detects the next programme has just started. So no matter how long you leave the box it will have the recording.

Start to play the recording. Press OK. If the time location isn't blue press up to make it blue. The button to the right of OK for every press will skip 2 mins if you haven't changed the default settings.

Most ITV ads are 2 mins or 4 mins. two presses will skip the ads. If you overshoot the left button skips back 5 seconds.

Remember if you have a programme set on a different channel set to start at the same time as trhe one you were watching. If a tuner isn't available the box will pinch the tuner to make this recording. In this event of course the box will be unable to create the time shift buffer of the 2nd recording on the same channel.

| Fri 5 Jun 2020 16:02:53 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

rod_vw

Hi all,

I've solved the riddle of why this was happening.

The current channel and program was a scheduled recording so if watching the 'live' broadcast of the same program pause will only pause to the end of the period of the recording time. After that the displayed screen is the current live broadcast.

Thanks for all of your input.

Rod

| Fri 28 Aug 2020 11:54:49 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

rod_vw - 1 min ago  » 
    Hi all,
    I've solved the riddle of why this was happening.
    The current channel and program was a scheduled recording so if watching the 'live' broadcast of the same program pause will only pause to the end of the period of the recording time. After that the displayed screen is the current live broadcast.
    Thanks for all of your input.

Rod

If you are recording the content. Always watch the recording using chasing playback. Use the skip keys when near the end to avoid dropping out to live tv. That way you will not miss the end.

| Fri 28 Aug 2020 11:58:43 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.