My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Picture freezing

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave Dee

Hello all, got a 5000t tuned through a new 34 element log periodic aerial. Postcode checker tells me my best transmitter is Blackhill at 218 degrees. I get all the stations but everynight the picture freezes for a second. This happens 10-12 times a night just for a second. Signal strenth is 79-85% and quality is rock solid at 100%. I've manually tuned all the stations in after deleting the auto tune but it is still happenning. Now the odd thing is that I bought the Humax box to replace a Bt dtr 2110 which always worked perfectly, never any issues but since changing to the humax i have this picture issue. Does anyone have any advice??

| Tue 24 Nov 2020 15:43:59 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Dave Dee - 35 mins ago  » 
    Signal strenth is 79-85% and quality is rock solid at 100%.

The signal strength isn't outrageously high but it could be worth trying a variable attenuator in the aerial feed to the Humax to get the signal down a few percent. The other common cause of picture disturbances is if the aerial cable and HDMI cable are in close proximity; best practice is to keep them as far apart as possible and gold standard is to use proper double shielded cables.

| Tue 24 Nov 2020 16:23:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave Dee

Martin, thank you for your advice. Don't have double shielded cables however apart from the cable inside the wall all coax was replaced with new rg6. what I do have is a variable attenuator and I will attach to reduce the siganal. what sort of signal strength am I aiming for here? I thought that 79-85% would have been low enough. Once i've done that if there is no improvement I will look at replacing the cables.

| Tue 24 Nov 2020 18:39:13 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Dave Dee - 3 mins ago  » 
    Don't have double shielded cables however apart from the cable inside the wall all coax was replaced with new rg6. what I do have is a variable attenuator and I will attach to reduce the siganal. what sort of signal strength am I aiming for here? I thought that 79-85% would have been low enough.

My advice is usually to get the maximum signal strength below 80% but the best thing to do is experiment.

Once i've done that if there is no improvement I will look at replacing the cables.

Have you checked that the aerial and the HDMI are well separated. I have to confess our HDR-2000T began to display these symptoms after a new carpet was fitted and it took me a while to realise that the carpet fitters had managed to tangle up my carefully separated cables. Separating them fixed the problem.

| Tue 24 Nov 2020 18:46:22 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave Dee

Thank you, I will aim for about 75% for starters. Sorry yes I meant to mention that my HDMI and aerial lead are well separated.

| Tue 24 Nov 2020 18:49:29 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.