My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

picture ratio

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

joe

just got the 1ooos 1tb set up working great but how do i solve my problems listed below
    1,my telly is panasonic 1080p and i have set 16.9 for picture but for an example i put itv3 and channel 5 on my panasonic freeview and got full screen in 16.9 but on the humax which i have set for 1080p and 16.9 i get the sides cut off but it goes back to full screen when the ads come on and then displays the word wide on the screen when the ads are finished (instead of 16.9)but cuts the sides off anyway so its not even wide screen meantime my freeview shows full 16.9 at all times
    2, can anyone give me a solution thanks....joe

| Tue 11 Dec 2012 18:47:43 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

catseye

Having the same problems Joe with the square picture especially with the black and white films.Never had this trouble with Sky+.

Checked all the settings on my Sony TV and there set at 16:9 aspect.

We may just have a setting wrong?

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 12:34:23 #2 |
  3. chrisund123

chrisund123

I have a problem with the aspect ratio as well, no matter which setting I select it always seems to stay in 16:9

Not much of a problem as I have a 16:9 telly so it displays correctly pretty much all the time, but not when playing back 1080p media over DLNA (as most films are in 1920 * 800 or something so they end up stretched vertically).

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 13:42:44 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Sounds like you have Display Format set to auto on the HDR-1000S but not on the TV.

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 14:25:39 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

grogmeister

Same problem here as chrisund123:

After 4 years reliable use of my Foxsat I decided to upgrade to the new 1000S. The main reason for the upgrade being its ability to stream movies from a DLNA server.

Whilst testing this feature I noticed a glaringly obvious problem within 1 minute of flicking through 4 or 5 films. It changes the aspect ratio of *every* movie to 16:9, regardless of what aspect ratio the movie actually is!?

I immediately went into settings to double check the screen settings, it was at this point I discovered that the screen settings do not actually do anything to the screen when altered when viewing media files!? Perhaps this is why they are not covered in the user manual?

It appears I (& the rest of the 1000S owners) have three options:
    a) Watch all our movies in the wrong aspect ratio & get used to everybody looking tall & thin.
    b) Re-encode our entire movie libraries with hard borders to a 16:9 aspect ratio so the 1000S cannot screw them up.
    c) Stop using this feature I upgraded for & revert to how I used to watch them.

OR......Perhaps the firmware engineers could fix it.

This problem also exists when playing movies from USB, or internal HDD (if you've transferred them).

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 17:57:19 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

grogmeister, So what settings (all) do you have set on both the HDR-1000S and your TV.

| Wed 12 Dec 2012 20:52:21 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

grogmeister

@REPASSAC

My TV is set to Wide, this is the same setting I use for all my other devices that connect to it. I know it displays what I send it without it altering the aspect ratio in any way shape or form.

As I said in my previous post, I have tried all permutations of settings on the 1000S. But it doesn't matter what I choose, it doesn't effect the output when viewing media files.

Have you managed to successfully play/stream media files to your TV from your 1000S without them being stretched vertically to fill the screen??

| Thu 13 Dec 2012 0:58:08 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I don't actually have anything that is not in 16:9. If the display format is set to auto on the HDR-1000S then I would expect it to be handled correctly by the unit but perhaps stretched vertically to fill the screen by your TV if it is set to 16:9?

| Thu 13 Dec 2012 9:56:02 #8 |
  9. chrisund123

chrisund123

REPASSAC - 29 minutes ago  » 
    I don't actually have anything that is not in 16:9. If the display format is set to auto on the HDR-1000S then I would expect it to be handled correctly by the unit but perhaps stretched vertically to fill the screen by your TV if it is set to 16:9?

I can confirm that both my TV and the 1000S are set to Auto.

| Thu 13 Dec 2012 10:26:51 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

grogmeister

@REPASSAC

I understand you are trying to help people, and I appreciate that. But unless you have actually tried to play/stream media files (which aren't 16:9) to your TV from your 1000S, I don't see the point at guessing at solutions to a problem you haven't encountered yet.

The box outputs correctly to my TV whilst watching broadcast/recorded programmes. Programmes that are 16:9 fill the screen, old programmes that are 4:3 have borders on the left & right, films & music videos (that aren't 16:9) have borders top & bottom. So bearing that in mind you can understand why changing input/output settings on the TV/1000S is not going to fix this problem. The fact is, the 1000S is changing the aspect ratio to 16:9 when it plays media files.

@chrisund123

I think we're stuck with this one until they fix it in an update

| Thu 13 Dec 2012 11:40:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.