My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Playing media via ipad or MacBook Pro

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Spikemike

Having downloaded and installed Raydons Media & File server bundle, can't believe Humax haven't already done this.

I have a question, as a novice to computers? I am haing trouble playing back my selected video file, I'm doing
    Browse media file>classic albums xxxxxxxxxx.ts when I select play there is no video/audio, Ali get is the controls for the file, play ff rw etc and 'plugin required' displayed.

I have installed vlc player through package Managment ut it does not work.

Also when I download the .ts files from the Hummy sometimes the file gets to around 90% and the download fakes.

Thanks in return

Mike

| Mon 28 Jan 2013 17:38:46 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

raydon

special member

Spikemike - 18 hours ago  » 
    ....when I select play there is no video/audio, Ali get is the controls for the file, play ff rw etc and 'plugin required' displayed.
    I have installed vlc player through package Managment ut it does not work.

Hi Mike,
    It's not enough just to install the VLC player plug-in on your HDR. A pre-requisite is that you must first have installed VLC on your client PC. This is all explained in the VLC Player Plug-in guide available under the Documentation tab in the Web Interface.
    Not sure if VLC player is available for iPad or MAC as I don't own either.
    regards
    raydon

| Tue 29 Jan 2013 12:02:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Get Go

I'm on OS X too. Is the classic albums xxx.ts in HD? if so it maybe encrypted and will only play on the Foxsat.

I use MediaTomb on the Foxsat to serve the video to VLC player [the app, not the plugin].

To setup MediaTomb on the Webif page click on MediaTomb icon then
    (See attached image)
    (1) Click on file system
    (2) Find the media folder and click the + then select the Video folder
    (3) Click the + in a circle icon
    (4) Set the parameters as in the image
    (5) then click Set.

That sets MediaTomb to scan the Video folder (and sub-folders) of the Foxsat every 30 mins for changes.
    (If you want Media Tomb to serve the Photo and Music folders you'll have to configure them too)

And now you should see a little message some where on that page that MediaTomb is scanning the folder. This may take a minute or so depending on how many files there are on the Foxsat.

You can close the MediaTomb web page.

Open VLC player and on the left panel under Local Network click on Universal Plug 'n' Play.

MediaTomb will appear in the main list (with a yellow triangle, I've no idea why) Then give it 30 secs and a little grey triangle will appear allowing you to expand the MediaTomb list. Select the file you want and it should play.

There is a YouTube clip with more on configuring MediaTomb at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qic11JxRbN8
    at around 2:30 onwards it explains how to add the files/folders you want to serve.

Attachments

1. MediaTombSetup.png (121.8 KB, 2 downloads) 11 years old
    | Tue 29 Jan 2013 13:10:59 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Meh, I found MediaTomb too fiddly. XBMC is cross platform (even runs on iOS and Android) and can stream from the Foxsat via FTP or SMB near flawlessly without needing to fiddle with much else... simply point XBMC at the Foxsat on the LAN and choose a file. The nice thing is you can turn deinterlacing on and the framerate is bumped up to 1080i... in my usage case it looks identical to watching things on the Foxsat itself.

| Mon 18 Feb 2013 23:56:06 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.