My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Playing MKV's via ethernet

(12 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

I had some initial issues with the box seeing my MKV's on a network shares via ethernet, it did see the share but instead of the up to date content it was seeing previously deleted stuff, an issue i fixed by re-indexing the shares on my server using windows media player, a simple fix.

I can now play the MKV's on my network share, however I have no sound when viewing these, anyone have any ideas how to work around this issue? I can confirm that the MKV's have sound when played through another source.

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 9:12:07 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Sherbet66 - 2 hours ago  » ...however I have no sound...

MKV is simply a container for video and audio codecs, it's not uncommon to find the problem you have. I've experienced that on my media player with some MKVs. The device (player) does not support the audio codec used. Looks like the 1000s has limited support for audio codecs. Solution is to convert the MKV to AVI using appropriate software.

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 11:32:26 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I would change the container to transport stream (.ts - the native recording format).

Video needs to be mpeg2 or mpeg4 (H264/AVC), doubtfull if any other compression codec is supported.

Tested with 1080i50, 1080p50 1080p60 and 1080p24 all work fine.

Audio format known to be supported - ac3 2.0 or 5.1, mpeg1 layer 2, mpeg 1 layer 3. (not tried lpcm .wav audio)

Not supported DTS or DTS-HD, convert to ac3.

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 11:54:59 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 58 minutes ago  » 

MKV is simply a container for video and audio codecs, it's not uncommon to find the problem you have. I've experienced that on my media player with some MKVs. The device (player) does not support the audio codec used. Looks like the 1000s has limited support for audio codecs. Solution is to convert the MKV to AVI using appropriate software.

AVI is just another container.

It is the responsibility of a DLNA server to convert files to MPEG2 (or optionally MPEG1, MPEG4, WMV9) Audio: LPCM (2 channel) (Optionally also MP3, WMA9, AC-3, AAC, ATRAC3plus)

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 12:37:38 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Of course AVI is just another container, but with the appropriate conversion s/w you can specify your target audio codec. Done it lots of times with problem MKVs that would not play.
    It is the responsibility of a DLNA server to convert files

Responsibility? That's a new one on me. Some servers might offer transcoding function, but equally others do not. I must contact the vendors and remind them of their responsibilities 8-)))

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 16:37:06 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 18 minutes ago  » 

Of course AVI is just another container, but with the appropriate conversion s/w you can specify your target audio codec. Done it lots of times with problem MKVs that would not play.
    It is the responsibility of a DLNA server to convert files

Responsibility? That's a new one on me. Some servers might offer transcoding function, but equally others do not. I must contact the vendors and remind them of their responsibilities 8-)))

It's a DLNA requirement see Click the Media Format and Transport Model

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 16:59:40 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Interoperability Guidelines. Semantics, I agree. There are any number of DNLA servers around, TWONKY 5 on my QNAP NAS being an example (and that applies to V6 & V7 also), which do not provide transcoding out of the box. So the question is, what one is the poster using and is it fully compliant with these guidelines? If not, is he prepared and equipped to enable transcoding by means of the published add-ons, is his NAS (if that's where the server resides) capable? If no to all that then he can use conversion s/w to get the desired result.

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 17:19:47 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Pollensa1946 - 7 minutes ago  » 

Interoperability Guidelines. Semantics, I agree. There are any number of DNLA servers around, TWONKY 5 on my QNAP NAS being an example (and that applies to V6 & V7 also), which do not provide transcoding out of the box. So the question is, what one is the poster using and is it fully compliant with these guidelines? If not, is he prepared and equipped to enable transcoding by means of the published add-ons, is his NAS (if that's where the server resides) capable? If no to all that then he can use conversion s/w to get the desired result.

There should be no need to setup transcoding on a DLNA server - "must" is quite clear in the base DLNA requirements (unless the client is known to support the origional format).

The Protected Streaming/Link Protection is something that Humax is expected to build in to a server. Clients that do not support it may be disappointed.

DLNA also provides certification (for those that want it).

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 17:32:39 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

There should be no need to setup transcoding on a DLNA server

OK, what do we do about TWONKY which does not provide it out of the box? TWONKY being just about the most popular onboard server for NAS. You need to get out in the real world more. You're spending too much time reading theoretical guidelines.

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 17:41:04 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Sherbet66

Pollensa1946 - 9 hours ago  » 

Seems to me this is the problem, audio codec not supported. Thanks for all the advice, no lack of information here!

| Sat 5 Jan 2013 21:24:55 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.