My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Possible to stream photos/videos direct from PC to HDR?

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Is it in any way possible to use my Foxsat PVR to stream photos and videos from my PC which is located upstairs to my TV in the downstairs lounge?

IPlayer is already installed on the PVR.

If not possible, can you suggest any other way it can be done?

TV is Panasonic 32LXD85

| Fri 16 Nov 2012 21:25:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Partridge2

No this isn't possible with the Foxsat HDR I'm afraid.

Your best bet is a media streamer which you connect into your home network and which has audio/video out to your TV. I'm not up to date but I think you can get something reasonable for less than 100 quid; there are quite a few models around.

If you have a laptop with an HDMI out (or VGA out if your TV has VGA in socket) then you can also use this as the media streamer.

| Fri 16 Nov 2012 23:24:00 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

cerclebois

special member

Thanks even though disappointing yet expected!

Hmm, that'll need thinking about! Having looked at some googled items I am still not sure how those things are set up wirelessly. Does the sreamer live by the PC or TV, and how does an un-smart TV like mine receive the wifi signal; some sort of HDMI wireless adapter?

| Sat 17 Nov 2012 10:48:47 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The media streamer lives by the TV. It connects to your network like any other item (WiFi, Cat 5 cable, Wireless Bridge or Home Plug adaptors). It connects to your TV like any other set top box by scart (SD) or HDMI(HD).

Example

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

| Sat 17 Nov 2012 11:33:19 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

AndyK

I have a thick tv (5 yr old Samsung), and use Apple TV connected via HDMI to tv and Air parrot (downloaded software)to 'mirror' my laptop's screen. Cost £90 for the Apple TV and £7 for the software. Works great and gives the option for CH4 and CH5 player too. I'm sure there are other ways, but i'm a bit dense on the technology side, so works for me.

| Sat 17 Nov 2012 11:35:24 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

zeke

Well I'm going to politely disagree with everyone and say the options they have chosen aren't as versatile/powerful as a more dedicated HTPC!

I use an Acer Revo R3610 with XBMC. The recent v12 beta will play any TS files from the Humax Foxsat across the network, even the unencrypted 1080i ones, perfectly. Plus handling photos and such is all a part of the program. Really easy to add a remote to, too (I just used an old Xbox DVD IR dongle). And of course you have the benefit of a proper operating system underneath if you want, so you can do some browsing and email checking etc easily on a large screen TV rather than a small monitor.

You can usually pick them up for £100 or so on eBay, have a look....

| Sat 17 Nov 2012 11:49:24 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.