My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

Problem with replacement box

(10 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

I received a replacement HDR Fox T2 on Monday from Humax but all the HD channels intermittently keep breaking up, I am getting a good signal strength of 61% but the quality keeps fluctuating fron 100% down to 10% on all HD channels, normal channels are fine 61% with constant 100% quality,I have tried changing the HDMI leads,tried a manual tune and even tried a different aerial.The old box worked fine and had a unrelated problem and nothing has been added or changed in my set up or any new equipment in my house. I have noticed that the HDMI port is not as tight a fit as the old one. Has anyone else had this problem or suggest a solution please, I would like to avoid taking another day off to wait for yet another new box to arrive,

| Wed 13 Feb 2013 17:35:52 #1 |
  2. athomson

athomson

special member

Do you use a TV amplifier? If so, it may sound stange but try turning down the gain or taking it out of the line. I am thinking maybe the signal is too much for the T2, I am just guessing though - trying to save you going for another swap and having more time off.

Andy

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 12:05:53 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Check you haven't got a second copy of the HD Mux (and others) in the 800's.

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 12:09:37 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

Thanks athomson & grahamlthompson But no amplifier on my usual aerial and no 800's,Im pretty sure its a dodgy HDMI port now, if the
    HDMI cable is not held slightly to the left I get no picture on any channel, odd that SD channels were not as fussy as HD.

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 13:27:16 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Hi,
    I'm assuming you're on the latest firmware, have done a factory reset and the box is not hot.

There's no way that hdmi should or could be causing a 10 - 100% fluctuation in signal quality. Clutching at straws... it may be the board or cut-outs in the rear of the box aren't quite right and when you plug the hdmi lead in it puts pressure either on the board or aerial connection, however I'm clutching at straws here.

A hdmi problem would normally lead to hand-shaking, signal being re-negogiated, and the screen would go blank for a second whilst it tries to figure out what's connected and best resolution. As the HD picture is breaking up I'd be surprised if this is the case.

You've not mentioned your TV, we all assume that they can do full HD, however it would be worth toggling resoloution using the v-format button on the remote to pick a lower resolution, test different resolutions until you hit a problem. If you do, check the TV's spec's

It may be worthwhile recording some bbcHD's test programme and playing this same content back at different resolutions to see if and when the picture breaks up. If it consistantly breaks up at the same places then that would suggest aerial/signal connection input. If it breaks up at different places whilst playing back the same bit at the same resolution then that would suggest output and TV input

Also worth trying, reversing the hdmi lead and holding that slightly to the left

The replacement box is likely to be a re-furb and a previous owner may have been heavy handed which may not have been picked up by Humax testing, I'm thinking of the hdmi port here as they're made in their millions to a very exact specification. A previous user being heavy handed or pushing the box back against something solid and kinking the aerial/hdmi cables/connections could cause all sorts of problems which may not be detected in a different setup.

I'm loathed to suggest returning the box, however sometimes you have to. I'd be running more tests first though for my own peace of mind and narrowing down where the fault may be.

It's the 10 - 100% signal fluctuation and the holding of the hdmi cable to the left to get a picture that is puzzling me, let us know how you get on

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 16:26:41 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

Hi Damian,
    I guess it could be a double problem,The hummy I returned on Monday never had any problems with HD and as I said I tried a second aerial that is boosted and the problem was exactly the same.I phoned Humax today and they suggested a manual retune after a factory default re set, it did nothing, ive tried 3 different HDMI leads.As a last resort I got a friend to bring his HDRFOXT2 round and it worked without any problem. my old box was never updated and this one is .29 but thats the only thing to have changed, the TV was fine with the old box and my friends so dont think it can be the TV. Anyway Humax are replacing it on Monday so fingers crossed.

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 21:20:04 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Thanks for the update Trog,

Pretty conclusive from how you've tested so far, it looks like you've done more than enough to prove it's the new replacement box that's faulty.

Humax take note please, you (Humax) can't afford to be sending out duff replacements.

Trust all goes well on Monday

| Thu 14 Feb 2013 23:35:37 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

Cheers Damian,actually its going to be Tuesday now,I rang them yesterday afternoon as they had not confirmed my booking and the guy told me that they had over 100 replacement orders come in this week and it had not been dealt with yet but was kind enough to get my order booked in while I was on the phone.

| Sat 16 Feb 2013 13:12:09 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

trog

@ Damian and anyone else who is interested.Just tuned in my second
    replacement box, HDMI is nice and snug this time, I am getting strength in the 60's with 100% quality as before but all HD channels are working perfectly this time. I guess the problem I had
    can be filed in the X-files thread if there is one.

| Tue 19 Feb 2013 18:43:35 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

thanks for the update Trog.

As far as hardware goes I've never had a problem with any of my Humax boxes and I feel a small sense of responsibility as I'll encourage anybody who will listen to move away from their expensive sky contract and get a decent Humax instead.

I like to think that most problems are user related, however I find the 100 or so replacement orders in a week simply staggering. Let's hope that they take better note of returned faults and don't simply give your box a quick bench test, regrade, package and send back out again. It's nice to see that the customer service side worked well.

thanks again, all feedback good and/or bad is useful

| Tue 19 Feb 2013 23:02:53 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.