My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Problems with HummyReadFiles (and cable mod?)

(11 posts)
  1. bornfromanegg

bornfromanegg

Hi, first post, so sorry if I’m in the wrong place, asking something stupid, etc. etc. Please point me in the right direction if I am.

Ok, so I’m using a Humax 9200T, and Windows 7, and I have the following story…

I’ve just completed the (http://myhumax.org/wiki/index.php/Son_t_9200T_New_Cable_Modification)
    modification to connect directly to the harddrive using the USB connector. I’m a software developer, and I’ve built a few PCs in my time, so I’m reasonably ok on what I’m doing. And I'm fairly sure the cable mod itself is working fine. I have, however, had some interesting experiences. I wonder if you could shed any light on these?

To start off, I put the Hummy on standby, and ran HummyReadFiles (v0.89 – I have since noticed there is a 0.94 so I will try that next, but I’ll carry on here anyway for now). The first time I ran this, it gave me an error, saying that it didn’t recognise the disk as being a hummy disk. I tried disk numbers 1 and 2, and got the same error on both. I tried running a couple of the other programs (HumaxRW and Humaxcheck(?)) without much success, but then I tried HummyReadFiles again and it worked. So I copied something off and that worked too and everything was great.

After I’d disconnected, I turned the hummy back on and I noticed that I couldn’t bring up my list of recordings. I turned it off (with the remote) then back on again and everything looked ok.

Later that day I decided to copy off a bunch of stuff, so I put the hummy on standby again and ran HummyReadFiles. Again, first time it didn’t work but the second time it did. I selected about 20 files and ran.

When they finished copying, I went to disconnect the drive, but there was no icon in the systray to do this. I was in a bit of a hurry because I knew a scheduled recording was going to start in a couple of minutes, so I just disconnected the cable, then I turned the hummy off at the switch, waited a couple of seconds and booted it up again.

This is where it got interesting. I couldn’t get my list of recordings up again (I use the button that’s under the slide off cover at the bottom of the remote). So I thought I’d just go through the menus and see my recordings that way. When I pressed menu, however, the menus were different. The one where you can go to view your recorded programs (and where I usually go to see how much disk space I have left) was missing. Stranger still, there was a new menu at the bottom, called Games, which I’ve never seen before. I pressed this and a few games titles appeared. I went no further down this road.

The upshot of this was that I had no access at all to any of my recorded programs – the menu item wasn’t there and the button at the bottom of the remote didn’t work. I decided to turn it off and on again (yes, I do work in IT ). I did this with the remote (not the power switch), and when it came back up again, my menus were restored and I could see my recordings again (and no Games).

So far, so good (although strange). However, the program that was supposed to now be recording had not started recording. I scheduled another, later one, and that did not start recording either. I pressed record to record something manually, and that worked, and after doing that, another scheduled program recorded as required.

So I seem to be back on track as far as the hummy itself is concerned.

As for the files I copied off, there were, as I said, about 20. About half of these play, and the other half don’t. In explorer, which can display the running time of video files, the ones which don’t play have no running time displayed (which makes sense). There is one file, however, which does play, but explorer displays a running time of 0:00:00.

So I’m confused. I’ve used HumaxMediaController in the past and this has worked ok, but of course it is very slow. I’m loving the hard work you’ve put into this, so I’d really like to iron out these problems, or at least understand a little about what is happening. But I think I’m still at the beginning of the learning curve here!

| Mon 18 Jul 2011 14:24:11 #1 |
  2. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

Hi 'bfae',

Sorry, but I had not time to completely transfer the instructions from the humaxdisk wiki to this one. I have just done so (except the photos, which need updating).

You might want to check that you've constructed your cable properly by reading the 'How to Contruct Your Cable' section and then make sure you are operating correctly by reading the 'How it Works' section of the wiki.

If you still have problems after this, reply here and I'll try to help further...

Regards,
    son_t

| Mon 18 Jul 2011 15:23:19 #2 |
  3. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

In the old place there was a lengthy thread about incompatible USB-IDE adapters. IIRC they would work happily if they were connected directly to the drive or the drive to the hummy motherboard, but with the cable mod in place either you could not see the recordings or the USB would not connect (though some were just plain faulty).
    Also ISTR that the drive should be on the middle connector with the end going to the motherboard and the USB adapter in the socket on the other end.
    Just a couple of ideas to check..

Re HummyReadFiles, 0.94 was the last version and is OK if you haven't upsized your drive but has problems if you go over 250 recordings even if you reduce the number again. Earlier versions could not cope with 'illegal characters' in filenames.

| Mon 18 Jul 2011 21:25:24 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

danco01

Where can one get version 0.94 or even 0.92?

The humaxdisk wiki points to hummy.org.uk, which no longer exists.

| Wed 27 Jul 2011 18:16:50 #4 |
  5. myhumax

myhumax

senior admin

On the 9200t downloads on MyHumax Blog of course: http://myhumax.org/blog/?page_id=153

And don't say hummy on this forum!

| Wed 27 Jul 2011 19:50:59 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

danco01

Thanks. You can see that I am new to this forum.

I would not use "hummy" to describe my machine, but after all that is part of the program name!

Anyway, I have problems still, which is not surprising considering my system. I may just have to mess around and see if I can get things to work.

My PC is an ancient one, which didn't even have a USB port until I added a PCI card that provided USB.

I performed son_t's modification ages ago and it usually worked fine. Sometimes hummyreadfiles (92) could not find the hard drive, but a bit of juggling, unplugging, rebooting, etc, got it to work. But in the last couple of days I tried repeatedly with no success - it is possible that my 9200 is failing as several recordings that were set did not record.

My main computer is a Mac, and I thought I would try hummyreadfiles under BootCamp. But when I tried to install the program, I got told that the component MSCOMCTL.OCX was not correctly registered, that there was a file missing or corrupt. Possibly the issue was that I tried to do the installation in a virtual machine rather than in BootCamp.

I just want to get a bunch of programs off the 9200. I won't use it further (though if I can get it working properly I might give it away or sell it). The bad behaviour made me decide it was time to go for the Fox HDR-T2. So far I am liking it, but do have a few questions.

| Wed 27 Jul 2011 20:11:24 #6 |
  7. aldaweb

aldaweb

administrator

You could try using HDC which has a MAC OS-X version available from the wiki (link) as I don't see it in the blog post here yet.

Or you could try humaxrw (available on the blog linked to above by Son_t) especially if you thing the drive is having problems. It will enable a backup - format - restore of the drive if you have enough storage for your recordings.
    Yoou may also need to default reset if you are having recording problems and you have plenty of space on the drive.

And don't say hummy on this forum! [;)]

er... humm..... just teasing

| Fri 29 Jul 2011 19:31:25 #7 |
  8. bornfromanegg

bornfromanegg

Hello again,

Er, I see this post has taken a small detour in my absence! Serves me right I suppose for asking a question, getting an instant response, and then not replying myself for 3 weeks!

Anyway, what I would like to add is that I've checked my setup - I'm exactly as described. The right bits of the cable are poked into the right bits of the motherboard/HDD and everything seems right.

I've also tried it again with v0.94, and this time everything transferred correctly, and when I switched the Humax (what's wrong with Hummy??) on again, everything was ok. But the *next* time I switched it on, I had the missing menu, and the extra "Games" menu again. Very strange. Switched it off (with the remote) and on again, and menus were back as normal.

So I appear to have cracked part of it by using the latest version of the software, but I really don't understand this "Games" thing. By itself, it's no real problem, but if the scheduled recordings don't work, then it is. I will check tonight to see whether my recordings for today have worked - if not, then I'm back to being concerned!

The games, by the way are:
    1. A port of BoxWorld - (Dinosaur Egg, I think)
    2. A version of othello/reversi, whatever you call it
    3. Something that looks like BeJewelled
    4. A puzzle game involving building train tracks

All very exciting, but no help to me!!!

Sorry for taking so long to reply - I really appreciate that people have taken the time to respond.

Cheers!

| Mon 8 Aug 2011 14:50:09 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

bmax

The games menu appears when the HDD is removed or the Box does not detect a hard drive.

I seem to remember that there can be a bus contention with certain drives and adaptors, possibly pin 28 which decides whether the drive is a master of a slave. I do know that the HDD is normally set to 'cable select' by a jumper and the Hummy puts a zero on pin 28 when in use to make the drive a master. If the adaptor affects this zero, a marginal condition may result, which might explain your problem. This may also account for why some people found the cable connection positions critical. (It should make no difference)

I think I tried setting the HDD to 'master' with the link, but this gave problems during initiallisation, as the Hummy does not expect to see a master at this stage. I found my particular set up worked (and still does) so I lost interest in trying to find the cause.

Just one thought, did you modify a standard IDD cable or build one up from scratch? I ask as pin 28 may or may not be connected to one of the sockets.

| Mon 8 Aug 2011 16:07:55 #9 |
  10. bornfromanegg

bornfromanegg

Hi,

Aha, so it's not detecting the HDD then? Interesting, and of course that might explain why any menus referring to the HDD are missing as well.

Ok, so I made the cable up from a HD extension lead and an IDC socket. I got the parts from CPC exactly as per the son_t modification. Specifically, I used these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/_/cs04318/hard-drive-extension-lead/dp/CS04318?Ntt=CS04318

http://cpc.farnell.com/multicomp/mc6fd040-30p1/idc-socket-sr-40-way/dp/CN04740?Ntt=CN04740

So I got the two and I crimped them together, using a vice, as described. It all seemed to go quite smoothly so I'm fairly sure the cable's ok....

I remember, having placed the connector 2 inches from the end as described in the modification, thinking that that did not give me much room to play with. You've got one end in the mobo, 2 inches later you've got the "mid-cable" connector in the HDD, and then you have to twist the rest of the cable out of the gap that remains. I remember thinking that if I did it again, I might be tempted to put it further down the cable (say, 4 inches) just to give me a bit more room.

But I managed it, and as far as I could tell, the connections were secure. I will check the jumper setting on the drive, though. While I'm there, is there something I should look for on pin 28?

One other thing, could this be something to do with the IDE to USB adapter itself? Could this be messing stuff up?

I understand what you mean about giving up trying to find the cause. Truth is, I've done this twice and I've had this problem both times. But I won't be copying things off very often so if it just means I have to reboot the Humax a couple of times every time I do it, then I can live with that. But it would be nice to know what is happening, if only so I can have confidence that my scheduled recordings are going to record (my ones yesterday did, by the way).

| Tue 9 Aug 2011 15:37:44 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.