My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR FOX T2

PVR Dead??

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

JerryL1947

I bought my HDR new in Jan 2012 and it has worked perfectly till last evening, just connected to a Panasonic TV via HDMI, no network.

I went to rouse it from standby with the remote, no response. Pressed the front button (showing orange), no response. Changed remote batteries, no response.

Switched it off at wall socket and on again, now nothing. No light in the on/off button on the front. Spoke to Goldstar who advised me to look here and that it could well not be a power supply problem.

I lifted out the HDD and checked the volts on the connections to the mother board, all looked OK: 12v,12v,,, 6.6v, 6.6v

Replaced HDD, switch on and nothing is running, no fan, no HDD.

Is this unit completely dead, so I need to buy a replacement?

| Mon 5 Jan 2015 14:54:18 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Will the box boot up with the hard disk disconnected ?

| Mon 5 Jan 2015 15:59:53 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

JerryL1947

No, it does not boot with the HDD disconnected. Absolutely dead.

I had the disc out and connected it to my laptop and it span up and the laptop reported driver was loaded but the disc did not appear on Windows Explorer (Win7 Pro)

| Mon 5 Jan 2015 19:35:50 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

JerryL1947 - 51 seconds ago  » 
    No, it does not boot with the HDD disconnected. Absolutely dead.
    I had the disc out and connected it to my laptop and it span up and the laptop reported driver was loaded but the disc did not appear on Windows Explorer (Win7 Pro)

The disk won't appear in Windows Explorer unless you have EXT2FS installed. It uses EXT3, a Linux file system.

If your box won't boot without the hard disk it's clearly broken. Have a good look at the capacitors in the power supply - look for bulging ones.

| Mon 5 Jan 2015 19:40:00 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

JerryL1947

I have examined all circuits including the front board and all looks perfect, though I did not remove the MB to look at other side but there's no brown anywhere.

The power supply looks OK and output voltages (without HDD in place) look OK on all pins to MB.

| Mon 5 Jan 2015 19:47:08 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.