My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Query regarding programmes saved to external drive

(5 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

My FVP4000T has started to give messages saying there's no signal. I can only get the signal back by going in and out of standby.This got me thinking about progs I have saved to an external dive. If the PVR needs to be replaced (which, presumably it will at some point) will I still be able to view those programmes via a new Humax? Does it need to be a Humax?

Thanks

| Fri 20 Oct 2017 11:12:35 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If you can play them from a PC they were decrypted on copying (using software like Windows Media Player). As these are standard mpeg2 video with mp2 audio in a transport stream container .ts. Most anything with support for the container and the video/audio compression codecs with external media support should play them. You possibly already have kit (like a smart TV) that will play them back without using the 4000T.

| Fri 20 Oct 2017 11:26:08 #2 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

To follow up on Grahams post...

SD recordings will playback
    HD recordings are encrypted and can only be played back on the unit they were initially recorded on...

However...

If you can transfer HD recordings back to original unit recorded on, subject to DRM, and purchased another FVP then you could stream them over you network to new FVP.

| Fri 20 Oct 2017 13:11:38 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

J_Oz

special member

Thanks for the replies. So as I see it: SD recordings should be fine but if the original unit is irreparably damaged then any HD recordings will be unplayable.

| Sat 21 Oct 2017 9:01:13 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

J_Oz - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thanks for the replies. So as I see it: SD recordings should be fine but if the original unit is irreparably damaged then any HD recordings will be unplayable.

That's correct. It's the same situation as the earlier Freeview+ Humax pvrs. HDR-FOX-T2, HDR-1800T and HDR-2000T. There are ways round this with the earlier boxes which we can't discuss here.

| Sat 21 Oct 2017 11:41:25 #5 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.