My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Radio channels on 5000T?

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

kjello

Is there any way to add radio channels to the channel list on the 5000T? I used to use my FOX to record some radio programmes from BBC R4 and R3, but the 5000 seems to have tuned in only TV channels.

| Fri 12 Apr 2019 19:17:57 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

If you bring up the guide, then press+ then change the group from T V to radio you will then find them all there. The 5000 does infact download all available channels (both TV & radio at the same time. )
    The reason you didn't think it did is because your Guide was set onto TV only. So that is what it showed. I hope this helps.

| Fri 12 Apr 2019 19:29:07 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kjello

Thank you very much, both for the information and the clarity. That makes a huge difference.

| Fri 12 Apr 2019 19:46:44 #3 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Can I ask two supplementary questions about radio recordings:

1) Can you chase-play an active radio recording?

2) How close to live can you chase-play? (My old Foxsat HDR has a problem if you get too close causing it to jump back to live - irritating if you are trying to sync a radio sports commentary to live TV coverage by adding a few seconds delay)

| Sat 13 Apr 2019 14:35:53 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 1 hour ago  » 
    Can I ask two supplementary questions about radio recordings:
    1) Can you chase-play an active radio recording?
    2) How close to live can you chase-play? (My old Foxsat HDR has a problem if you get too close causing it to jump back to live - irritating if you are trying to sync a radio sports commentary to live TV coverage by adding a few seconds delay)

On a Foxsat-HDR and the g2 boxes If you use the forward skip key when close to live when using chasing playback at at default of + 2mins it ignores the command if there's not enough recording at that time so you don't drop back to the time shift buffer. Same applies to the 4000/5000T models.

| Sat 13 Apr 2019 15:59:40 #5 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Yes I know that, but when I have tried to sync to BT TV in the past I needed a delay of around 20 seconds but that kept dropping back to live when it was then out of sync.

| Sat 13 Apr 2019 17:30:06 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pretty sure you can chase play a radio recording on a 5000T. From memory there is an issue with live pause and resume from the time shift buffer. I don't very often record radio, but I will try it out tomorrow and post what happens. 20 seconds is a hell of a long delay

Must be a lot of delay in the signal path or lots of re-coding somewhere

How far can a signal travel at 186,000 miles/second

As you no doubt know there is a short delay after a recording starts before there is enough content in the recording before you can get a stable chasing playback output.

| Sat 13 Apr 2019 18:23:31 #7 |
  8. gomezz

gomezz

special member

20 seconds is about the delay between DAB/Freeview/Freesat radio and BT internet TV. DAB is about two seconds ahead of satellite TV. Online streaming is about two *minutes* behind the broadcast platforms. Fortunately I am talking about syncing off camera commentary to the picture rather then fractions of a second needed when syncing to a talking head.

| Sat 13 Apr 2019 22:20:46 #8 |
  9. Trev

Trev

special member

Can you not chaseplay the TV picture to allow by (say) two mins and the commentary by (say) 2min 10 sec. Or are you trying to do the synching on the same device?

| Sat 13 Apr 2019 23:03:13 #9 |
  10. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Yes, usually I do. For example with F1 I used to sync using the starting red lights. And with cricket I usually sync as the bowler is in their delivery stride.

But there was this one occasion when I was trying to sync radio commentary using the Foxsat to the live action and I was unable to chase-play the TV coverage for some reason. What I did instead was do some hasty re-cabling to run a secondary audio feed from my Youview PVR to my AV amp and chase-play the radio commentary from that instead which could cope with being only a few seconds behind. As they are both Humax boxes I was simply wondering in which camp the 5000T fell.

(the plus is that I can now independently choose which of my three PVRs I can choose to have radio from using an audio switch without needing the TV set turned on - my AV amp is an old one with limited connectivity and options but I can use its VCR input for a secondary audio connection)

| Sun 14 Apr 2019 9:17:29 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.