My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Random reboots, dead in the mornings, no sound

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave-M

Hi,

I have had my FVP 4000T for about 2 weeks. Right away, it started doing random restarts and it would fail during recordings because of this restarting. I explained to Humax that the box wasn't really useable and we were going to return it and get a refund, they told me that they were aware of the issue and that a firmware update would be available on the 10th November, but this didn't happen.

To cut a long story short, they sent me the firmware to fix the issues and I updated yesterday, but my box is still doing it.

Part of the problem, or maybe another issue is that the box is quite often dead and unresponsive in the morning, no leds, nothing and the remote doesn't work. When this happens, it needs powering off at the wall and even then, it can take 2 or 3 attempts for it to start itself.

The other odd thing that has started happening is that the sound drops out completely. everything else seems to work, just no sound. Again, there seems to be no way to fix this until I power off at the wall. Any recordings during this time are interupted.

I've done 3x factory resets since I bought it, two weeks ago. One factory reset in that time is unaceptable, but three is a joke.

The GUI is clunky, painfully slow. Is this likely to ever get better? Is the box really underpowered? That's how it seems!

After coming from the T2, this really is a shockingly awful product. What are the alternatives? What are Humax doing to rectify this for their customers? Do we just send it back to where we bought it from and go with a different brand?

What are the alternatives? Is the Freesat version as bad?

| Fri 18 Nov 2016 13:15:35 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

bill63

special member

Hi Dave- M

The update is on the 21st November which is supposed to fix this.
    You can read other people posts about this under
    FVP4000T Random Reboot .

However your box does sound quite bad, you could wait for the update on the 21st of November to see if this helps or return it to the shop.

The box itself can also sometimes be a bit slow to respond after being powered of at the mains, so wait a few seconds on each press of the button as the box will be loading all the running information like the guide etc.

It is best to plug in the mains then wait for 5 minutes then press the power button quickly ether on the box or remote, pressing for to long or keeping pressing the buttons and box will not respond or you will be turning off again.

Hope this will help.

| Fri 18 Nov 2016 13:44:43 #2 |
  3. Stephenesque

Stephenesque

special member

According to my email from Humax the update "...will be available week commencing the 21st November".

I don't think we will all be updated on Monday.

| Fri 18 Nov 2016 14:01:18 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave-M

Hi,

I already have the update due out on the 21st, it hasn't fixed anything. They emailed it to me.

| Fri 18 Nov 2016 18:39:59 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

hackenbacker

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, the GUI is slow - this is my third Humax PVR, and it seems to be a trend that each is slower than the last. I can understand that things like populating the EPG is going to take a little bit of time, but ought to be more focus in making general operation faster.

Your box sounds like it is behaving quite badly and may be a hardware fault. But the last two firmwares have had major issues, and it's for cases like yours that I'm particularly annoyed that Humax didn't pull the updates from their servers when they realised there were problems. New cusomters - who are probably buying boxes shipped with firmware from a few months ago - shouldn't have their first experience to be to download a known bad firmware.

If your box is faulty, this might not work, but it is possible to install ver 1.0.1.25 - going backwards does work, although to do so you need to keep the box entirely off the internet to avoid it being updated. (So no rewind on the guide, or catch up services - but as I have all that elsewhere, and my sole reason for buying this is to act as a PVR, I'm ok with that to have a working box). My experience is that no firmware since 1.01.25 is stable enough for reliable PVR usage.

| Fri 18 Nov 2016 19:07:10 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave-M

hackenbacker - 2 hours ago  » 
    Hi Dave,
    Unfortunately, the GUI is slow - this is my third Humax PVR, and it seems to be a trend that each is slower than the last. I can understand that things like populating the EPG is going to take a little bit of time, but ought to be more focus in making general operation faster.
    Your box sounds like it is behaving quite badly and may be a hardware fault. But the last two firmwares have had major issues, and it's for cases like yours that I'm particularly annoyed that Humax didn't pull the updates from their servers when they realised there were problems. New cusomters - who are probably buying boxes shipped with firmware from a few months ago - shouldn't have their first experience to be to download a known bad firmware.
    If your box is faulty, this might not work, but it is possible to install ver 1.0.1.25 - going backwards does work, although to do so you need to keep the box entirely off the internet to avoid it being updated. (So no rewind on the guide, or catch up services - but as I have all that elsewhere, and my sole reason for buying this is to act as a PVR, I'm ok with that to have a working box). My experience is that no firmware since 1.01.25 is stable enough for reliable PVR usage.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I think I'm going to return it. I just need something that is reliable and sadly this isn't. Question is, what though?

| Fri 18 Nov 2016 21:36:26 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

damian

special member

Dave-M - 11 hours ago  » 
    The GUI is clunky, painfully slow. Is this likely to ever get better? Is the box really underpowered?

The UI is clunky and slow, just down to poor software, it should get better eventually, I hope.
    I know you've reset 3x, but did you reset after the firmware update?
    I've read somewhere that a recent beta firmware, no doubt what you received, doesn't fix the reboot issue.
    My box took a couple of weeks to settle down, no problems since except for the slow UI.
    If you want to persevere, take a note of the schedule and reset if you haven't since firmware update, switch automatic power down to off in power management system setting, I assume network is cabled coming from the T2 and the aerial only sees one transmitter, also any sort of CEC is switched-off/disabled on the TV. If it's still unresponsive the following morning then I'd swap or return it, no idea what with though.

One thing you mention is the sound drop out, other people have raised this, but I'm not aware as to when this actually happens. Does the sound drop out in the middle of viewing something, or is it when switching on, changing channels, advert break etc.? I can't imagine the sound dropping in them middle of playback without something changing/triggering it, any ideas?

| Sat 19 Nov 2016 0:48:19 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave-M

damian - 10 hours ago  » 

Dave-M - 11 hours ago  » 
    The GUI is clunky, painfully slow. Is this likely to ever get better? Is the box really underpowered?

The UI is clunky and slow, just down to poor software, it should get better eventually, I hope.
    I know you've reset 3x, but did you reset after the firmware update?
    I've read somewhere that a recent beta firmware, no doubt what you received, doesn't fix the reboot issue.
    My box took a couple of weeks to settle down, no problems since except for the slow UI.
    If you want to persevere, take a note of the schedule and reset if you haven't since firmware update, switch automatic power down to off in power management system setting, I assume network is cabled coming from the T2 and the aerial only sees one transmitter, also any sort of CEC is switched-off/disabled on the TV. If it's still unresponsive the following morning then I'd swap or return it, no idea what with though.
    One thing you mention is the sound drop out, other people have raised this, but I'm not aware as to when this actually happens. Does the sound drop out in the middle of viewing something, or is it when switching on, changing channels, advert break etc.? I can't imagine the sound dropping in them middle of playback without something changing/triggering it, any ideas?

Thanks for the info. I will do a reset but I'm not hopeful now. I don't have the T2 now, it was given to a family member, unfortunately.

The sound dropout doesn't happen as much as it being dead in the morning, and it doesn't seem to have a pattern that I can see. I've been in the kitchen and heard the sound go off when the tv was just on in the background. It's done it while I've been watching too, but nothing has happened that makes it seem anything other than random.

| Sat 19 Nov 2016 19:36:12 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.