My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

RCA conectivity

(6 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Smike22

Hi,

Do the the three (Red/Yellow/White)sockets only output, or can I safely use them to input audio/video for Recording?

I have recently purchased an HDR1100s. It's fast but with limited functionality, to supplement my capable but ancient and slow, Foxsat.

Unfortunately, unlike the Foxsat, the new machine does not have the ability to output recordings via the USB port to an external hard drive to archive them.

I know that the RCA ports on the HDR1100s do output the audio-video signal OK, so if the ports on the Foxsat can input these, I will have a solution to this HDR1100s limitation.

I could just connect up and see, but I don't want to blow up either of the PVRs if they would just be fighting one another to output.

Advice would be much appreciated,

Smike22

| Sun 18 Mar 2018 15:06:04 #1 |
  2. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The ports are output only.

| Sun 18 Mar 2018 15:08:04 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

PVR's can only record from the built in tuners. They don't have the required analogue to digital converters (adc). You would need something like a DVD recorder or a PC with a usb video capture device to record the 1100S analogue outputs.

| Sun 18 Mar 2018 15:20:08 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Smike22

Hi Graham,

Thanks for this authoritative reply.

The Foxsat clearly has a digital to audio converter, as it takes input from it's tuner or HDD, and outputs it in analogue form to its SCART port. However, if the designers neglected to provide a means of converting in the other direction, to enable recording of analogue sources for people wishing, for example, to transfer their VHS tape library to their new PVR as you would expect, then I am certainly snookered.

Regress, not progress.

Smike

| Mon 19 Mar 2018 14:45:18 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Smike22 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    Thanks for this authoritative reply.
    The Foxsat clearly has a digital to audio converter, as it takes input from it's tuner or HDD, and outputs it in analogue form to its SCART port. However, if the designers neglected to provide a means of converting in the other direction, to enable recording of analogue sources for people wishing, for example, to transfer their VHS tape library to their new PVR as you would expect, then I am certainly snookered.
    Regress, not progress.
    Smike

They do not need this extra kit. The output of the tuners is a digital data stream which is recorded directly to a hard disk drive. Recordings are therefore identical to the original broadcast. The can also convert SD and HD digital video to SD CVBS (aka composite video) and output from scart or a yellow RCA phono socket. Means they can be used with a TV without HDMI in

The only pvr I know of that can record from an analogue input is the original TIVO. The adc is required because it worked with analogue PAL I TV broadcasts not DVB-T/T2.

| Mon 19 Mar 2018 14:53:04 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Smike22 - 52 minutes ago  » 
    However, if the designers neglected to provide a means of converting in the other direction, to enable recording of analogue sources for people wishing, for example, to transfer their VHS tape library to their new PVR as you would expect, then I am certainly snookered.

The problem is that the digital encoding is a more compute intensive process than the decoding so to provide the capability to encode analogue sources would significantly increase the cost of the box for functionality that not many people would use.

| Mon 19 Mar 2018 15:40:30 #6 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.