My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HD

Recognising memory stick

(15 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

digitalprinter0

My Humax Foxsat-HD does not recognised my memory stick although it flashes. Can anyone help please?

| Fri 8 May 2015 17:12:22 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

If I remember correctly only use of the USB port on a Foxsat-HD is to update the software (It's been a few years since I used one). It's presumably looking for a software update and doesn't find one. It definitely can't record to a usb device like the HB1000S can.

| Fri 8 May 2015 17:18:08 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

digitalprinter0

Thanks it looks like I need the HB1000S. Recording onto a USB is encrypted I understand so is there a converted to play on a Mac please?

| Sat 9 May 2015 12:43:33 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

digitalprinter0 - 8 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks it looks like I need the HB1000S, I hope the wife agrees!

As Graham says the HB-1000S can record to a USB Hard disk but not a memory stick. It can play back from both types of USB device.

| Sat 9 May 2015 12:55:08 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

digitalprinter0

Thanks for your helpful comments.
    As I understand it, it encrypts the data but presumably there is software to change the format should want to put it on a DVD using a computer.

| Sun 10 May 2015 13:02:51 #5 |
  6. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

digitalprinter0 - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks for your helpful comments.
    As I understand it, it encrypts the data but presumably there is software to change the format should want to put it on a DVD using a computer.

Not much research has been done on this as I for one imagine it's as well locked down as it's big brother which uses an encrypted filing system.
    I would bet that want you want cannot be achieved.

| Sun 10 May 2015 13:23:12 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

digitalprinter0

Thanks your for your thoughts but I think if it can be encrypted it can be decrypted. I think the encryption is in .ts (transport stream) and there are free converters available, see Google.

| Sun 10 May 2015 13:37:14 #7 |
  8. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

digitalprinter0 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    Thanks your for your thoughts but I think if it can be encrypted it can be decrypted. I think the encryption is in .ts (transport stream) and there are free converters available, see Google.

Care to wager a £5 that you cannot decrypt a HD file off a freetime unit.
    Old posts can mislead. The HDR-1000S does not bother encrypting the data just the filing system. I presume when you dedicate the disk to the HB-1000S it does the same.

| Sun 10 May 2015 13:46:00 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

digitalprinter0

Sorry i am not a betting man (moral principle), however, I have a Humax Foxsat-HD seven years old. So am only thinking of the future. Can you explain what you mean by exactly by the filing system, apart from the obvious please?

| Sun 10 May 2015 14:03:26 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

digitalprinter0 - 5 minutes ago  » 
    Sorry i am not a betting man (moral principle), however, I have a Humax Foxsat-HD seven years old. So am only thinking of the future. Can you explain what you mean by exactly by the filing system, apart from the obvious please?

The recording partition is LUKS encrypted on the HDR1000/1010S, the HB1000S most likely uses the same system. Every box has a unique encryption key. A Foxsat-hdr records to a standard Linux partition you can easily access. The HD recordings though are encrypted by a unique key. Although you can copy HD to USB and playback from there, no other box (even another Foxsat-hdr) will play the file back. No one has been able to decrypt a encrypted HD recording on even a Foxsat-hdr. The chance of achieving this on a freetime box is so slim as to be virtually impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unified_Key_Setup

http://askubuntu.com/questions/97196/how-secure-is-an-encrypted-luks-filesystem

If you want to utilise satellite recordings on other kit, get a generic free to air pvr ready box or a box with a built in hard drive. (There are dozens of these), most won't have an epg though.

The broadcasts aren't encrypted, encryption takes place in the box itself.

| Sun 10 May 2015 14:16:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.