My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » HDR 1800T, 2000T

Recorded radio intermittent breaks in audio

(11 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

This is so annoying. Everything is tuned in and the aerial is a recently installed new one with a strong signal. When I record radio 3 or listen live I get intermittent jumps in audio every few seconds. A lot of my programes are now ruied by this annoying problem.

Can anyone give me a clue as to where to start to try and solve this problem ?

Thanks.

| Fri 24 Aug 2018 15:41:16 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Make and model of box would help ? You may have too high a signal level, if so a variable attenuator may fix it.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p86843?searchstr=TV%20attenuator

If you can't fit F connectors use a pair of f to belling lee converters.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/labgear-f-plug-to-coax-socket-pack-of-10/73805

| Fri 24 Aug 2018 15:50:44 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Sorry, I thought I posted the model number. It's a 2000T

| Fri 24 Aug 2018 17:27:24 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

What signal strength and quality do you get when tuned to radio 3 using the signal diagnostics menu ?

Still reckon it's likely to be tuner front end overload from too strong a signal.

Try the attenuator (and the adaptors if you need them). It's very simple to cut the coax cable into the box and fit F connectors to the cut ends, While looking at the bbc 3 signal reduce the signal level to a point where the quality starts to dip below 100%.

With a sensitive tuner capable of hanging on to a weak signal
    it's way too easy to overload the tuner.
    Look up how to fit a screw on F connector.

| Fri 24 Aug 2018 19:41:53 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

grahamlthompson - 15 hours ago  » 
    What signal strength and quality do you get when tuned to radio 3 using the signal diagnostics menu ?
    Still reckon it's likely to be tuner front end overload from too strong a signal.
    Try the attenuator (and the adaptors if you need them). It's very simple to cut the coax cable into the box and fit F connectors to the cut ends, While looking at the bbc 3 signal reduce the signal level to a point where the quality starts to dip below 100%.

Well while I have Radio 3 tuned, I go to the settings menu and look at signal strength and it says "Channel 50" which bears no resemblance to the channel number of Radio 3(three figure number) I check the strength anyway and it reads between 94-96% strength at 100% quality if that helps. The audio didn't seem to jump just now.

| Sat 25 Aug 2018 10:58:15 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hubb - 1 minute ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 15 hours ago  » 

Well while I have Radio 3 tuned, I go to the settings menu and look at signal strength and it says "Channel 50" which bears no resemblance to the channel number of Radio 3(three figure number) I check the strength anyway and it reads between 94-96% strength at 100% quality if that helps. The audio didn't seem to jump just now.

Channel 50 is the UHF channel that the Multiplex with Radio 3 on uses as a carrier by your local transmitter.

Fit the attenuator and adjust the signal strength to approx 70-80% checking the quality remains at 100%. The three figure number is the logical channel number allocated to Radio 3's Service Identifier (SID) by the freeview epg.

See PSB 1

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/multiplexes

| Sat 25 Aug 2018 11:06:14 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Ok, thanks. Any reason why this problem has started this late on after the aerial was fitted 3 years ago ? The break in audio seems to be very short, a bit like a cd jumping.

| Sun 26 Aug 2018 9:45:10 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

hubb - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Ok, thanks. Any reason why this problem has started this late on after the aerial was fitted 3 years ago ? The break in audio seems to be very short, a bit like a cd jumping.

Could be a number of reasons. The audio break up suggests tuner overload, which may have been due to enhanced reception due to the current atmospheric conditions or may be the Mux power has been increased. The high signal level suggests that you are close to the signal being too high for the tuner to cope with for short intervals. Without a spectrum analyser it's just a guess. As a attenuator is cheap it's a no brainer to try one. The problem is a lot easier to see on a TV channel as the picture breaks up into a pixellated mess.

| Sun 26 Aug 2018 9:57:22 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

It stopped happening for a while but some more recordings are doing the same again. It’s not consistent.

| Tue 25 Sep 2018 21:36:30 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

hubb

special member

Anyone please as to why it should happen now and again ?

| Tue 27 Nov 2018 23:53:23 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.