My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Recording conflict re: 2 differing days/channels

(10 posts)
  1. phthalo

phthalo

Hi all,

I have a Humax Foxsat that seems to be having recording issues.

When attempting to set up two recording times I get a conflict message even though the programmes in question are on separate channels and separate dates, i.e. 8pm Monday on the Drama channel and 8pm Wednesday on ITV3. Even when I choose the ITV3+ channel it's the same outcome: I can't set up both simultaneously.

I have re-tuned the Foxsat and removed non-required channels such as BBC Wales and Scotland etc., but to no avail.

I've read about issues regarding conflicts when recording via the same broadcasting company, but not two completely separate channels on two separate days.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks.

P.

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 12:30:29 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Enter the setup menu.

Don't look at the screen.

Press the following in quick succession

RED GREEN YELLOW BLUE GREEN YELLOW BLUE

Select antenna setting from the hidden menu.

What does connection type say ?

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 12:36:51 #2 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Unable to identify which programmes you were attempting to record.

Presume Drama is CBS Drama on lcn 134 and ITV 3 on lCN 113

I can record both channels but not when I have other recordings in the schedule that cause the box to attempt recording 3 at the same time.

Try again but before setting Display the epg - press schedule then red.

Move to the time slot that you are attempting to record in Move to BBC 1 - press 101.

Press Programme Down to page down the epg checking for a recording flag.

If none found try setting both again

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 13:58:30 #3 |
  4. phthalo

phthalo

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your reply.

Antenna setting is 'one cable' which sounds incorrect to me.

The Channels are Drama (UK) 158 and ITV3 115.

I haven't carried out the second part of your instructions yet as I'm waiting to see the outcome of the antenna setting question first

Cheers

P.

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 19:18:39 #4 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

phthalo - 28 mins ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Antenna setting is 'one cable' which sounds incorrect to me.
    The Channels are Drama (UK) 158 and ITV3 115.
    I haven't carried out the second part of your instructions yet as I'm waiting to see the outcome of the antenna setting question first
    Cheers

It should be two cables (same) meaning the dish is pointing at the same orbital point (ie 28.2e).

Your box is setup in single cable mode (which needs a short coax link from tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in).

Guessing you have a issue with the connection from the lnb connection to the tuner 2 in connection or the lnb.

Step 1 swap the two cable inputs. Reboot the box and display the the signal info info page. What does tuner 1 in and tuner 2 in say both tuners signal level and quality is ?

If you have no signal there is a issue with either the lnb or the coax from the lnb to tuner 2 in.
    P.

| Tue 14 Jul 2020 19:56:23 #5 |
  6. phthalo

phthalo

Hi Graham,

'Two cables (same)' did the trick. Thanks for the heads-up about the hidden settings menu, much appreciated.

P.

| Wed 15 Jul 2020 18:20:52 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

phthalo - 22 mins ago  » 
    Hi Graham,
    'Two cables (same)' did the trick. Thanks for the heads-up about the hidden settings menu, much appreciated.
    P.

Good news

| Wed 15 Jul 2020 18:43:18 #7 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Guessing at some point you did a factory reset with the second cable having a faulty connection. If you do a factory reset in the future, make sure you get the two cables found report.

| Wed 15 Jul 2020 21:03:39 #8 |
  9. phthalo

phthalo

Yes, I replaced a failed drive in this unit which was given to me and factory reset it as you quite rightly surmise. I'm not sure why one of the two cables would not have been detected as they were both swapped directly from my existing Humax machine (which detected both feeds) and still worked fine when replaced after the factory reset.

Maybe I simply didn't secure one of the cables as well as I should have, although wouldn't the faulty connection have been flagged by the GUI software, or is it not uncommon for a PVR to use only one feed, therefore no warning?

| Thu 16 Jul 2020 10:07:21 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

phthalo - 42 mins ago  » 
    Yes, I replaced a failed drive in this unit which was given to me and factory reset it as you quite rightly surmise. I'm not sure why one of the two cables would not have been detected as they were both swapped directly from my existing Humax machine (which detected both feeds) and still worked fine when replaced after the factory reset.
    Maybe I simply didn't secure one of the cables as well as I should have, although wouldn't the faulty connection have been flagged by the GUI software, or is it not uncommon for a PVR to use only one feed, therefore no warning?

Had a faulty cable been on tuner 1 in. The box would have given a no signal error. If tuner 1 in had a signal. The box would have asked for a post code after verification it would have put up a message saying one cable found. It would then set up the box in single cable mode and assume a short link cable from tuner 1 out to tuner 2 in had been fitted.

You would only get a error message after attempting to make a recording combination that would be possible if the link cable was present. This would only generate an error when the box attempts to create the recordings and finds the channels that should be usable aren't. Basically tuner 2 can only use channels that are in the same band high/low and polarisation H/V as the transponder tuner 1 is using.

The newer G2 boxes have an automatic internal link enabled if a single cable is only found on setup or when doing a freesat retune.

| Thu 16 Jul 2020 10:57:15 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.