My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Recording fail with TV off

(7 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim Dalgleish

I have recently bought an FVP5000t. All seems to work fine except that when I switch the TV off, recordings of ITV channels stops. When TV is switched on again, recording resumes. BBC channels work fine.
    Note signal to TV aerial is not being passed through the FVP5000t, but is routed elsewhere.
    Watching ITV through the FVP tuner is fine; no signs of poor signal.
    Reading other threads perhaps hinted at noise problems between RF and HDMI cables or an issue with CEC control on HDMI. I cannot find anyway of switching CEC off on my aging LG TV, so assume this may not be the cause.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

| Sun 26 Aug 2018 15:08:58 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Jim Dalgleish - 1 hour ago  » 
    when I switch the TV off, recordings of ITV channels stops. When TV is switched on again, recording resumes. BBC channels work fine.
    Note signal to TV aerial is not being passed through the FVP5000t, but is routed elsewhere.

That is an unusual problem and I am struggling to think of answer. Please can you explain how the signal is routed to the TV?

| Sun 26 Aug 2018 17:07:19 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim Dalgleish

I use an RF splitter and signal is routed to TV and PVR separately. I do this because of a problem with my previous PVR and simply wired the new one up the same way. I could try using pass through and see if that changes anything.
    Thanks for your response. It's good to know someone is thinking about it.

| Sun 26 Aug 2018 17:23:35 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This is a weird one. Do you buy any chance have a remote powered amplifier and it is being powered by antenna power from the TV ?

Basically you have a single aerial and a powered splitter either on the aerial mast or close to it (perhaps in a loft ).

| Sun 26 Aug 2018 19:19:36 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim Dalgleish

Thanks for replies and time spent, but I need to apologise for probably wasting your time.
    Having been forced to consider it was not a problem with my new PVR, I have spent some time looking at the connections.
    Replacing the RF bypass with the pass-through the PVR resulted in being able to record ITV stations with the TV on or off!
    However, without the by-pass I could neither watch nor record BBC stations. Very weird.
    I still do not understand it, but I have found out what has caused it. On closer inspection I discovered that when I replaced the old PVR with the Humax I plugged the main RF cable into the FM socket, which is immediately next to the UHF socket. My only excuse is that it is all hidden behind stuff and fairly invisible.
    Apologies again, but maybe some of the thought we've given it may be useful to someone else later on.
    Thanks again.

| Mon 27 Aug 2018 11:10:45 #5 |
  6. Trev

Trev

special member

OOPS. And good of you to 'fess up'.

| Mon 27 Aug 2018 11:41:46 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Jim Dalgleish - 3 hours ago  » 
    Apologies again, but maybe some of the thought we've given it may be useful to someone else later on.

Thanks for letting us know. As I said it was an odd problem and you found a solution so well done.

| Mon 27 Aug 2018 14:58:47 #7 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.