My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Recording issues

(8 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jem8472

Hello all,

I am just wondering if anyone else is having issues with recording on their HDR?

Myself and my brother in law have the same Humax box and they are about the same age. (I can't remember when we bought it but it was a long time ago)

Recently we have both had some issues with various recordings failing. One that keeps going wrong for me is outback opal hunters on Quest.
    We have been recording the most recent series of young Sheldon with no issues but my BIL has had issues with his failing to record unless he leaves his box on all the time.
    Similarly with secrets of the london underground he has had missed recordings and we haven't.

Could this be two boxes starting to fail independently of each other or is anyone else having issues with stuff not recording.

| Thu 29 Aug 2024 21:31:26 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Humadaptor

Donator ⑩

Struggling with La Vuelta (Cycling) on Quest HD 167 It's in the EPG, but consistenetly fails to record. I've factory reset my Foxsat HDR a couple of times and set one time and series recordings but still no joy. As a test I tried to record wheeler dealers 0100-0200 this morning (also Quest 167) on a scheduled recording set about 30 mins earlier and then put in standby.

The box woke up and appeared to be recording on the web browser custom firmware (4.1.3) interface, but at 0230 (half an hour after the end) it hadn't/wouldn't go into standby (couldn't force it with off button on hardware remote) but there was no recording listed as still valid, and it hadn't recorded wheeler dealers either. From live TV I did an instant record for about two mins, then killed it, and then box would go to standby.

How do I reliably get Quest 167 recordings? The recordings that fail are definitely on live TV.
    Are quest slack at updating the epg? Some times the info panel (using the i button at bottom of screen has frozen in the past)
    Since the Vuelta cycling is a Eurosport re-broadcast via Quest is it possible the EPG start / stop signals aren't being relayed through?
    When I reset to factory settings via the handset, is there a custom firmware cache flush (or anything like that) I should do?

Thanks for any help - box has been great for 12 years and want to keep it going.

| Fri 30 Aug 2024 12:54:11 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Nothing unusual happening for me. Of the programs listed, the only one I record is series 7 of Young Sheldon which has been fine albeit the recorder will already have been on.

No experience of Quest HD 167 recordings so can't comment on their track record with program start/end markers.

Never needed or wanted to try a reset to factory default settings.

There isn't a custom firmware cache flush as far as I am aware.
    Instructions on how to remove the CFW are in the help pages, but you do need a copy of the official software to revert with.
    The same help page also has instructions on how to default CFW settings if you want a fresh start which may be closet to what you describe as a cache flush.
    There are also instructions on how to refresh the epg database used by CFW if the webif epg doesn't display properly.
    I can't think any of these will help this scenario.

If I recall correctly, a recording in progress indicated on the CF webif scheduled events page is taken from the recording schedule rather than disk activity.
    So, if an auto recording is delayed by a few minutes by extended news or sport the webif will show the recording taking place at the scheduled time.
    Similarly, when the broadcast doesn't have the correct start/end markers, the webif will show a recording taking place.

I've set a couple of Quest HD 167 series recordings on my HDR just to see what happens.

Wheeler Dealers on 2024-08-31 at 08:00 for 1 hour (series)
    American Pickers on 2024-09-02 at 08:00 for 1 hour (series)

HDR will probably be on at the start times, so not testing whether it wakes in advance, but I've no reason to think that it would not.

| Fri 30 Aug 2024 18:04:41 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Humadaptor

Donator ⑩

Ok thanks, I'll check back in tomorrow to see what you found if anything.
    I've been on the CFW for many years (say about 6,7,8) without trouble, but I did keep the factory data as well as the CFW flash data to revert if I ever have need to. Agree probably don't. Just checked and it was July '19 so 5 years.

| Fri 30 Aug 2024 19:44:07 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

For the 'accurate' recording of Wheeler Dealers expected this morning 08:00 to 09:00.

As expected, the Webif Scheduled Events page showed the recording bar graphic as if a broadcast recording was happening between 08:00 and 09:00. This reflects the fact that the Webif view is derived from the schedule - not disk activity. However, nothing was actually recorded to disk.

At 09:44, the foxsat HDR accurate record process timed out and the machine saved an hmt file indicating 'recording has failed: unknown reason'

This behaviour is typical of the broadcaster not sending the program end/start signal in the broadcast stream.

If this is the case, only complaining to the broadcaster/freesat can get it fixed.
    In the interim, setting manual recordings with suitable start/end padding should work.

| Sat 31 Aug 2024 10:03:57 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Humadaptor

Donator ⑩

Dino, thanks for this, I reached the same conclusion by the following method since I had tried most others (i.e. scheduled single, series via epg (handset or web interface) Green button channel listing (handset) etc.....

If you bring up the info panel on a live broadcast, then right arrow to a future program on the same channel. Press ok and you are given the option to record or watch (the future program) and it usually works. For Quest 167 yesterday the option panel for any program on the same channel in the future said "waiting for programme information" with an 'OK' button only even if the box had been on >10 mins, and even if the user guide had been force refreshed. So basically the Start / stop info hadn't been there. I had never seen this before.

Agree manual timed recordings will work quite well with Quest since it is nearly all pre-recorded and runs to fairly fixed timings. On a 22 episode series (the Vuelta) it would be nice to just pick the show, "record series" and have it happen.

Finally I didn't know (or had forgotten) that the browser interface showing 'recording' is running off what is planned rather than what is happening which made my diagnosis a bit slower.

So the box goes on and the CFW is fine too 12 years and counting (5 with CFW). HDD or cooling fan becoming more audible if box powered on and TV off (or sound muted) so might need to attend to those soon.

Thanks again
    JW

| Sat 31 Aug 2024 10:58:30 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

dino

special member

Young Sheldon E4 (series set for accurate record)
    E4 and associated channels typically signal the program end/start right at the very last moment.
    An 'accurate recording' of these channels will often clip the very start of any recording.

The Young Sheldon recording followed that pattern.
    Recording started 20:00:58 just after the start of the broadcast (literally caught "ously on Young Sheldon.....")
    Recording ended 20:32:12 towards the very end of the 'E4 Entertainment sponsored by Brancott Estate' bumper for the next program.

American Pickers Quest HD 167 (series set for accurate record)
    This actually recorded ok - in contrast to the earlier Wheeler Dealer series record on the same channel.
    Recording started 08:00:02 at the end of the American Pickers show bumper ("your riser recliner retailer....")
    Recording ended 08:59:59 during inter-program plugs "....over on discovery plus right now"

From this very limited test it would appear Quest HD 167 uses program end/start signalling unreliably. I'm not aware of any Foxsat degeneration in tracking accurate record signalling. When using so called 'accurate' recording on the Foxsat HDR failed recordings are almost always down to broadcaster issues.

The broadcasters with the low channel numbers tend to be more reliable than those with higher numbers. That said, the 'low number' channels carry live sport and live news which can be a weak spot for them.

| Mon 2 Sep 2024 10:06:33 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

jlewis

I was interested in this post as I have also been having problems recently with programs not recording. I have had a Foxsat-HDR box for many years and up til now it has been trouble free.
    Last night we were watching a program I had previously recorded but had the machine set to record UC on BBC2 at 20:30. When we finished watching the program I wanted to switch to the UC program which was still recording (the "REC" was displayed on the front panel) curiously the channel indicated BBC 1 not 2. I checked for the on-going recording but it wasn't in the directory but when I changed the channel to BBC2 it started the recording. I had a program scheduled at 21:00 on BBC1 but after watching the recorded UC program I checked the recording directory and the BBC1 program wasn't there. Again the channel displayed was BBC2 and not BBC1. Is this an issue with the EPG settings or is my Humax on the way out?
    I have noticed in the past few weeks that other programs were not recorded and on different channels e.g. C5.
    I could manually set the channel prior to recording but if i'm recording on different channels during the night this is not an option.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

| Tue 24 Sep 2024 10:28:47 #8 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.