My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » FOXSAT HDR

Recording size

(4 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

chris24

I have had my Humax foxsat-hdr since it was brought new, I have never used it.
    My wife was the only one who used it but she died at Christmas.

How do I know if it has the latest custom firmware and software updates as my wife would never have done it.

Also what version of the custom firmware would I need.
    My Humax foxsat-hdr has 2 tuners and a 500gb drive.

The installed drive is full of films that I would like to copy onto an external hard drive that I can store onto my desktop computer.

I understand that I can only copy recordings up to 4GB, onto a USB, is there anyway of knowing the size of each recording ?

My intention is to upgrade my Humax foxsat-hdr it to a 1TB western digital drive.

Would anyone know where I can get information on the above.
    Many thanks

| Thu 14 Jul 2016 13:30:38 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

The custom firmware version is displayed during the boot process. Latest version is 4.1.3.

https://www.avforums.com/threads/media-file-server-bundle-for-the-foxsat-hdr-release-4-part-6.2024876/

What makes you think it has the CF, if your wife never installed it ?

You have to do this yourself using a usb memory stick.

4GB limit only applies to a usb drive formatted in the FAT format, there is no such limit if the files are copied directly to a PC. You can copy directly to a PC USB drive formatted NTFS without any size limit.

You can directly view the files in Windows Explorer by mapping the Foxsat drive and copy files using drag and drop as with any other folders and files in windows (this will also give you the file sizes). You will need to copy at least 3 files for each recording to be able to replace them on the new drive. xxx.ts, xxx.nts and xxx.hmt (you can ignore the xxx.thm files as box will recreate them if missing).

| Thu 14 Jul 2016 16:11:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

chris24

Thank you for the information Graham.
    The Custom firmware is not installed, would it be possible to copy directly to a PC USB drive formatted NTFS without any size limit, if the Custom firmware is not installed, or does it have to be installed to be able to do this ?

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 16:49:31 #3 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

chris24 - 21 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you for the information Graham.
    The Custom firmware is not installed, would it be possible to copy directly to a PC USB drive formatted NTFS without any size limit, if the Custom firmware is not installed, or does it have to be installed to be able to do this ?

It has to be installed. The custom firmware allows you to install additional packages. In this case one called Samba. This allows a PC to access the Foxsat hard drive as if it was directly connected to your PC. Note to use the CF in this way the Foxsat (and your PC) have to be connected to a home network. Without the Foxsat being networked there is not much point in installing the CF.

| Fri 15 Jul 2016 17:14:43 #4 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.